Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter LTs emissions legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pacesetter LTs emissions legal?

I see most here recommend the Pacesetters for bang for the buck, so I checked their site for pricing but didn't see if they were emissions legal. Even though it said they have bungs for the 02's and stuff, does anyone know if installed, would they pass a smog test?
I'm interested in their ceramic coated LTs, also, anyone have any "fitment"/install probs such as hitting this, had to remove this to get them in, temporarily move/remove something to install them or melting wires or any post install probs?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the laws in Canada.....

Basically, they're emissions legal so long as you don't live in California simply because they relocate the cats back from their stock position.

That is, if you even need a catted-y still......
Old 02-26-2007, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

I believe Ontario is one of the more strict emissions provinces, but if it'll pass or be near California emissions, then it'll sail through our laws.

I noticed as well, one member says that I'd have to cut/shave 2inches or so off my K member to fit te Pacestters, is that 100% true?

If so, and for other brands as well, I WON'T cut, or permanently alter my Hawk. I'd rather scrap the header idea and just go with a good cat back and throw some elec. cutouts on an aftermarket catted Y pipe or something like that.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

you dont have to cut anything what-so-ever for the pacesetters to fit. Dont know what that guy was talking about. My pacesetters went in easier then my mac mids did. as for emissions, check and make sure you dont have a visual test, because if you do you will fail because like mentioned before, the cats have been relocated.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Who was the guy that had to cut his K member?? I know 2 guys that run those with 0 problems.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

I just ordered a set of pacesetters with the AIR fittings on them. You should be fine. Mine is a 2000 and I removed EGR on it (Because of the LS6 intake). Passed visual and sniffer inspection without any issues.

I will be installing them in a week or so. If you want to check it out, you are quite welcome.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

The guy who had to cut his K-Member must of gotten a bad set or something. All you have to do to get the passenger side in is to jack the motor up a little and get your car high as possible. Me and a friend did mine in 2 days taking our sweet as time and stopping alot in between. Getting the car high is the key

Old 02-27-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

All long tubes are not Emiision complaint, but are emissions compatible. What is the difference, compliants means they have exempt from emissions restrictions, compatible means they fit with vehicle equipped with emissions. If your local/federal laws allow the relocation of the cats, then you should be ok. Your best bet is to contact your local Dept. of Tranportation office or your EPA office. Long tubes are not legal here in the USA, only intended for off-road use.

Originally Posted by Da Swami
Depends on the laws in Canada.....

Basically, they're emissions legal so long as you don't live in California simply because they relocate the cats back from their stock position.

That is, if you even need a catted-y still......
Relocating the cats is a federal offense, not a Cali thing.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, i was pretty sure that was a federal thing, not a state thing!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 12secSS
All long tubes are not Emiision complaint, but are emissions compatible. What is the difference, compliants means they have exempt from emissions restrictions, compatible means they fit with vehicle equipped with emissions. If your local/federal laws allow the relocation of the cats, then you should be ok. Your best bet is to contact your local Dept. of Tranportation office or your EPA office. Long tubes are not legal here in the USA, only intended for off-road use.

Relocating the cats is a federal offense, not a Cali thing.
Thank you..for the millionth time....LONG TUBES are ILLEGAL on Emmision Equipped Vehicles in every state and every province. End of story.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, they are illegal. Now, can you pass the sniffer. Yes If you run good cats and is tuned accordingly. Several people here pass the smog test with headers and cam. One just passed again today.