General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Dead car w/ elec problems?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Dead car w/ elec problems?

So the last few weeks my car would occasionally give me hell starting. All electrics inside would whack out sometimes, guages reset, lights dim and what sounded like starter clicking and hen the engine would start, and try to die. Low RPM, almost sputtering. Turn it off and try again and would usually start and be fine. One day I had alternator checked and said was bad, the next day at a different place it was fine when I had it checked. Voltage would be fine while driving, idling etc once started. Now today it was working, come home and the car won't restart. Nasty horrible clicking sound coming from bottom passenger side. Electronics freaking out, hatch would pop, lights on off, needles on gauges going everywhere. Doesn't even come close to trying to turn over. I have no idea where to even start now. I've looked from the grounds thinking that is what it is, but can't find em to even start. I need some serious help here guys.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start by having the battery load tested, just to eliminate it as being the problem. Next on my list would be the alternator.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah I also had it jumped off another car just to make sure it wasn't the battery. Voltage read high while attached and nearly untouched when trying to start. I'm still thinking alternator but do you think its the alternator itself or the grounds?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think your battery is borked. Get your battery checked and prove me wrong.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

uh oh, sounded like what was happening to me right before My PCM crapped out.... get a code reader and run it through to see if it catches somethng.

Search this Thread