General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem

I am clueless on this one. When I returned home from work at 6:00am this morning and turned off my headlights the driver side motor kept running for about 5 seconds. (very loud and annoying, vibrating the car) I turned the lights on and off again and it did it again. I was tired and proceeded to enter the house. When I hit the remote the lights open and close, proceeded by the annoying vibration of the motor running. I am now at work again and the problem has continued. All I have to say is WTF!!??!?!!! No work had been done to the car prior to this.

Anyone have he same/similar problem please let me know. This is just weird.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

the ring gear on the headlight is done for.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Psychopjv
the ring gear on the headlight is done for.
Thanks. I just found the headlight fix information for the gear problem. I thought for sure it was going to be electrical with that weird stuff going on.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Launching!

My driver side motor started doing the same thing tonight..too weird.Exactly what is wrong and where did you find the info to fix?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

your plastic gear is done. the teeth are chewed off...you can either flip the gear and wear another part or, buy soome metal gears to replace them
Old 03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Flipping the gear seems to work just fine. I have two f-body's 1 96 and 1 98. Never replaced the headlight motors and I attribute it to these simple rules

1. Don't turn the headlights on when your going down the road. Obviously if your on a trip you have to unless you want to pull over. I never do that. But I do my best to turn them on at 40mph or at a stop. This stops the wind from slamming them open
2. Sometimes you turn the headlights on out of instinct and just slam the switch back off?? Don't do that! wait for them to come up then turn it off.

There is no physical reason the gears will strip or wear really other than this type of jerking. Its a simple screw turning by the motor and the gear rides in the thread. NO real big wear or anything. Just made from plastic so if it gets jerked real hard it will break.

The metal gears are a good alternative but they are heaver and seem to make the motor itself wear out early somtimes. Oh yeah both my cars have over 170,000 miles.