Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning "by the book"

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning "by the book"

I posted in the regional section to see if someone doing HP tunes in the GA area minded me looking over their shoulder while they did some tuning. Since there were no takers, my next question is; what is the best book available for a complete EFI tuning novice to buy. In my opinion it would need photos of graphs, and DETAILED explanations of how, when, and why to make changes.
I, like most other car guys, learn better from hands on, but a "tuning for dummies" book would be the next best thing.
Please PM me if you feel it's necessary to prevent this from being a controversial thread that turns into a pi_ _ ing contest.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

x2 id like to find out also.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

There is a book by Ben Strader that gives a good overview of tuning EFI. He's the guy that started EFI University. I think its called Tuning High Performance EFI or something of the sort, i'm too lazy right now to go find it..lol
Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chris81
There is a book by Ben Strader that gives a good overview of tuning EFI. He's the guy that started EFI University. I think its called Tuning High Performance EFI or something of the sort, i'm too lazy right now to go find it..lol

Building and Tuning High-Performance Electronic Fuel Injection

http://www.efi101.com/

Chris Macellaro
Old 02-28-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine Management: Advanced Tuning
by Greg Banish

This is one book I am looking forward to reading once available.

Ryan
Old 02-28-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
I posted in the regional section to see if someone doing HP tunes in the GA area minded me looking over their shoulder while they did some tuning. Since there were no takers, my next question is; what is the best book available for a complete EFI tuning novice to buy. In my opinion it would need photos of graphs, and DETAILED explanations of how, when, and why to make changes.
I, like most other car guys, learn better from hands on, but a "tuning for dummies" book would be the next best thing.
Please PM me if you feel it's necessary to prevent this from being a controversial thread that turns into a pi_ _ ing contest.
Thanks
You can witness me tune my new setup in 2 weeks. I am in Savannah.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slow
Engine Management: Advanced Tuning
by Greg Banish

This is one book I am looking forward to reading once available.

Ryan
This is the premier EFI Tuning literature to look for. Greg Banish is a great guy and seriously knows his way around EFI Calibration, so well that OEs use him for training and consulting for new vehicles to hit the market in the future. He also conducts EFI Calibration courses around the country, which I have attended personally. PM me for his contact info, since he is only a member here (turbolx) and not a sponsor.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 12secSS
This is the premier EFI Tuning literature to look for. Greg Banish is a great guy and seriously knows his way around EFI Calibration, so well that OEs use him for training and consulting for new vehicles to hit the market in the future. He also conducts EFI Calibration courses around the country, which I have attended personally. PM me for his contact info, since he is only a member here (turbolx) and not a sponsor.
Becareful as my friend didn't have a great experience with this guy when he worked for a shop here in the Detroit area. All he had was a stalled A4 with a 224 cam, yet my friend's car was having simple issues that Greg couldn't cure. He tried to blame them on anything but the tune. He even told my friend he had trouble supplying enough fuel to the motor (ON A 224 CAM!!!). I looked at the tune and the only fueling adjustments I saw were to the idle sections of the VE table and a few changes to the PE table. I don't know if it was because he was rushed at the time of the tune or what. But for the money my friend paid him & the shop, it was a real disappointment.

There are also others that I have seen/heard that refer to him as "Blow 'em up" Banish. Fortunately, my friend didn't have that kind of experience. But, that kind of nickname leads me to believe there were others who weren't so fortunate. See link:

Mixed Reviews

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 02-28-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nicknames such as that rarely mean anything solid and if you search long enough you could find a bad story or two or ten for each & every tuner out there.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignore the picture on the front cover, but this is an excellent book. I'm about halfway through it and have learned a lot. I don't think you'll find a book out there that tailor's itself to what to change and why in regards to our computers.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Horrible pic on the front of that book. bet its a marketing ploy, every ricer probably bought that book.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Hey brad, Im over in bluffton, when are you going to be tuning your new setup? I've been wanting to see your car but I'm never off to go to the meets on thursdays.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brad8266
You can witness me tune my new setup in 2 weeks. I am in Savannah.
COOL: Just tell me when and I'm THERE!!
Seriously, that would be a GREAT oppurtunity to get a good look what's involved. I'm only 75-80 miles (interstate) from there, so just let me know. I'll give you any help you need. The only thing I'm new at is EFI tuning, I've been modding for over 20 years!

"I don't think you'll find a book out there that tailor's itself to what to change and why in regards to our computers."

I'm not really looking for a book to tell me a "specific" change to make in regards to a "specific" car, but rather examples like
"LS1 cars with H/Cs usually need to have these funtions adjusted because the cam duration causes this to happen"
A book that is basically covers everything from start to finish, instead of just theorys and extremely advanced tuning. (well beyond what you would use on the typical street car)
JMO

Thanks for the PMs and e-mails
Old 03-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm not really looking for a book to tell me a "specific" change to make in regards to a "specific" car, but rather examples like
"LS1 cars with H/Cs usually need to have these funtions adjusted because the cam duration causes this to happen"
A book that is basically covers everything from start to finish, instead of just theorys and extremely advanced tuning.
I know one that does that... I wrote it specifically for guys like you. Hopefully, it will answer most questions along these lines.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbolx
I know one that does that... I wrote it specifically for guys like you. Hopefully, it will answer most questions along these lines.
Thanks Greg
I had aready planned to buy that one, I think it was originally posted as coming out in May.
I would love to attend one of your classes, but the last time I looked at your schedule, you didn't have anything near the south.
Like I stated above, I personally like to actally see somone perform a particualr task, then the written information makes a lot more sense.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbolx
Holy crap! That's awesome. I'll be buying it.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Wow, great post! I got have both books on order now from amazon.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Hey brad, Im over in bluffton, when are you going to be tuning your new setup? I've been wanting to see your car but I'm never off to go to the meets on thursdays.
Hopefully Ill be doing some tuning this weekend.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

COOL: Just tell me when and I'm THERE!!
Seriously, that would be a GREAT oppurtunity to get a good look what's involved. I'm only 75-80 miles (interstate) from there, so just let me know. I'll give you any help you need. The only thing I'm new at is EFI tuning, I've been modding for over 20 years!

"I don't think you'll find a book out there that tailor's itself to what to change and why in regards to our computers."

A book that is basically covers everything from start to finish, instead of just theorys and extremely advanced tuning. (well beyond what you would use on the typical street car)
JMO

Thanks for the PMs and e-mails
ill let you know when Im gonna be doing it, i can meet ya half way too since ill just be driving aropund anyway to log.