Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Got into a bike accident...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got into a bike accident...

Well... i feel like the biggest moron alive... My bike is uninsured for the winter cause i knew i wouldnt be riding it. Well a friend came over and i wanted to show him the bike, so i was gonna take it up my street and back down. I blipped the throttle at about half throttle (ive yet to give it full throttle) And i just wasnt thinking about all the dam sand that was laid down on my street, so needless to say, my bike came from underneath me and i slid w/the bike for about 15-20 feet... i dont even care about myself, im just so worried about th e bike. The whole left side of the bike is jacked... oil leaked from my oil pan, just so many things are jacked and i have no clue how much its gonna cost to fix. This was the first thing i paid for all myself so im just so fking depressed, its killing me... I just got back from the emergency room (i didnt wanna go) and my hands have the equivalent of a 2nd degree burn and knees are jacked. I will never not wear a jacket, gloves, and pants ever again... i can only imagine wut it would have been like if i was going 60+ mph... So mods for my bird will have to be on hold while i save up to fix my bike... But if there are those who think not wearing jacket/gloves/pants are necesarry, trust me it is very very necesarry... Hope maybe someone can learn from my experience
Old 02-28-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn man that sucks to hear.

We all have a slip in judgement. Luckly it sounds like you just got banged up and it's nothing major.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Not Good
Old 02-28-2007, 02:54 PM
8 Second Club

My friend did the same same. Call and insure it then wait a week or two then call it in.
Tell them some lady cut you off and u locked it up. My friend wrecked at the track flipped twice got it home and called to insure it. They gave him a check for the bike.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing you dont live in NY or FL where they require you to get an inspection pryor to getting the comp/coll on it, no police report will not help you either, its going to be considered a collision claim which is surchargeable, just a FYI
Old 02-28-2007, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Good thing you dont live in NY or FL where they require you to get an inspection pryor to getting the comp/coll on it, no police report will not help you either, its going to be considered a collision claim which is surchargeable, just a FYI
not true in NY... a buddy of mine did it in NY
Old 02-28-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by n20stroker
My friend did the same same. Call and insure it then wait a week or two then call it in.
Tell them some lady cut you off and u locked it up. My friend wrecked at the track flipped twice got it home and called to insure it. They gave him a check for the bike.
That's a crime though...

Plus he said he was going to man up fix it himself. I'm sure after a tumble off a bike from a foolish move he doesn't want to wind up any worse.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

dont worry about the damages to the bike man.. its easier to fix that what you think.... ebay has tons of parts for the gixxers 600s. Do not buy any parts from the dealer.
Did you have spools on the bike?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

ya it was my fault and i was stupid so im gonna fix it myself. I want it back to pretty much new and ill pay whatever to get it that way. Thanks for all the help guys. Im thinkin its gonna cost at least 3k... am i wrong?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

I want a bike, but stories like this keep me away from getting one.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
ya it was my fault and i was stupid so im gonna fix it myself. I want it back to pretty much new and ill pay whatever to get it that way. Thanks for all the help guys. Im thinkin its gonna cost at least 3k... am i wrong?
the fairings are expensive wich ever way you look at it,

take the bike apart, tally up all of the damaged pieces, go to the dealer and get a qoute. Then go to ebay and get it all there. Dont buy it at the dealer man, they will rip you off badly.
btw are you a member of gixxer.com? they have great info, shop manuals, classifieds and so on.. pretty good site for gixxer owners
Old 02-28-2007, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

that sucks and I know how you feel, a couple years ago I dumped my cbr at about 70mph in a wheelie and slid a good 60' on my arms...10 staples in my head, a hole in one hand, and road rash from my elbows to finger tips and the bike was pretty much a total loss and no insurance also, i pieced it back together to finish the season then parted it all back out...if your gonna fix it ebay is the way to go, hope all goes well
Old 02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Durien
not true in NY... a buddy of mine did it in NY

Most companies require this, I had a similar incident with a friend, lives in NY, got his bike stolen, it couldnt put cov on it until it was inspected. Your friend lucked out and that company has shitty underwriting guidelines.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Check out www.ajcyclesalvage.com if you need parts for your bike.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

When I used to ride I always wore jeans, jacket and gloves. Never had to use them though. I gave up riding. Glad you're ok, don't worry about the bike.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

dam this road rash hurts so bad, lol. i wish it wasnt on the palms of my hands... the bike is still all together, actually i dont think the fearings are damaged... just the whole nose piece, my clutch handle/pedal, kickstand, whole left side of the bike is scratched up real bad, the oil pan has a hole in it. and a couple of other things, so we'll see. Thanks for your words guys, ill keep this page updated as time goes on.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ohh the expensive lessons we learn. I had a dirtbike until I bout pulled a wheelie into a huge oak tree. I promptly sold it and continued loving to be alive and well.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

that sux bro- i been down a few times-not fun
Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Cosmetic damage doesn't "need" to be fixed... just make sure you didn't tweak the frame or something. eBay your parts... oil pan, kickstand, and clutch lever shouldn't be too much. You could even go aftermarket with some stuff. I got alot of my OEM parts from www.ronayers.com
Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That blows. You ever ridden a bike before? Or did you just buy it? You said you've never been full throttle, so I was wondering....

What color is the 600. I know a lot of people up here, and there are always stock parts kicking around. May or not be your color, but I'll give it a shot.

Make sure you check your cases, for hairline cracks you may have missed.

Invest in some frame sliders!