General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Compressor ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A/C Compressor ?

Does the compressor have a factory sealed oil in it ? The reason why I ask is because I have an oil (light color) drip or sepeage running down the driver side that sometimes shows up on my garage floor ! It has no odor at all and is slick like oil ! I have no noise when running a/c ! I do occasionally add freon though ! I can only pinpoint the comp. as the problem ! Has this happened before ? I am sure the comp. has seals right ?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kodiak
Does the compressor have a factory sealed oil in it ? The reason why I ask is because I have an oil (light color) drip or sepeage running down the driver side that sometimes shows up on my garage floor ! It has no odor at all and is slick like oil ! I have no noise when running a/c ! I do occasionally add freon though ! I can only pinpoint the comp. as the problem ! Has this happened before ? I am sure the comp. has seals right ?
Thanks
Yes the system has oil in it (PAG). If it is indeed the compressor front seal or a connection leaking, get some fluorescent dye and put it into the system and see where and what is leaking. You can get the dye and a black light from most any parts store. If the system has a big leak you will see it right away. The slow leaks are a bitch to find.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Chances are it's the compressor that is the only place gm systems ever leak for the most part unless you have the occasional line rubbed. But the system will leak out the majority of the refrigeration oil before it starts getting noisy.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies !!!!!!!