Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

13,000 on the odo and having a clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 13,000 on the odo and having a clutch issue

My wife was driving the Camaro and she said she heard a small pop when she backed out. She drove down the street and said the car was hard to shift. When she got to the light the car would not let her go into gear. Then the clutch went to the floor. She pumped it several times, and it finally came back. She was able drive it home. I noticed the clutch feels softer. Any idea? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I was told maybe air in the line or a slave cylinder going bad? I am thinking about bleeding the clutch.

FYI - it is a 2001 Camaro SS
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would definitly check the slave cylinder. They have a habit of randomly blowing out at the worst possible time.

First step would be to do a traditional bleed with the bleeder on the slave. If that doesn't help, it is either your master or slave going bad, or even worse loose PP bolts.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I would definitly check the slave cylinder. They have a habit of randomly blowing out at the worst possible time.

First step would be to do a traditional bleed with the bleeder on the slave. If that doesn't help, it is either your master or slave going bad, or even worse loose PP bolts.
id agree sounds more like a master/slave then the clutch/transmission.

See if you have any leaks, and make sure the fluid is full. if those are both ok, then check the master and slave.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

How will I know if the master or slave is bad? Will it be obvious or replace it and see if it works? Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the slave is bad you'll have fluid leaking from the slit between the bellhousing and the gearbox. The master being bad is a little harder to check, but they'll usually leak also. Most of the time at the top of the master where the rod goes in. You can also test the master by disconnecting it from the slave and you shouldn't be able to depress the pedal. If you can, you've got air in the system, contaminated fluid, or a leak master seal.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

I checked today while it was on a lift and there was no fluid to be found. I am going to bleed the systen this weekend and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Brandon let me know if you wanna try and do a master cylinder swap...I had this exact problem except for the fact that I was at 89k. It will go off and on like this for a while and eventually that seal will blow in it (if the master is the issue of course). I went with a Wagner master cylinder from Advance off of Harvey for around $80 or $90. Its a PITA install and you will no doubt have to have another set of hands when you get ready to line that baby up on the firewall and someone will have to hold the master under the hood while you tell them left or right under the dash so you can line up the u bolt with the firewall...about 2 to 3 hour install...let me know if you wanna try this is a not to expensive shot at fixing it...

Josh
Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

The clutch is now sticks every once in a while. Did this happen as well? I will probably be talking with you soon about this. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

yea man...exact conditions...it just picked whenever it wanted to stick but then after so long it would come back up and sure enough it would be back after a while then it got daily and then it blew which is when i did my rebuild of the t56/hydraulics...