Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cobra t-56 clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cobra t-56 clutch ?

What style clutch do the Cobras with T56 running? Are the hyrdrolic, or cable? Do they have a lot of the same clutch issues the LS1's have?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 AM
Teching In

They use a standard diaphram type clutch. Mustangs have used cables since '79. The cables used to break quite a bit but there aren't to many problems with them anymore. Hyrdraulic clutches have a great ability to reduce the amount of force it takes to depress the clutch. You put a stiff clutch in a Mustang and you better start eating your Wheaties. Mustangs still get throw out bearing squeal like everyone else. Dare I say that I own a Mustang but lurk these boards for information on the T-56. It currently has the older TKO with a Mcleod Street Twin--great clutch and about as smooth as it gets for high horsepower cars. Most of the people on this board are enamored with the Textralia. Unfortuantely it is not available for Mustangs. My guess is there are so many Holden vehicles in Australia that they figured that they didn't need to build a Ford version. They could double their sales if they changed the flywheel to fit a Ford--not terribly difficult (enough rant) If you want more information the following boards would better suit your questions: www.corral.net, www.svtperformance.com, www.modularfords.com, www.nmraracing.com, corner-carvers.com (not a Mustang specific website but great tech). Steer away from boards like Stangnet--unless you're interested in some really cool smoked tail light lenses. Hope this helps. I'm waiting to get banned from this board for all of this horrible Blue Oval information. : )

Last edited by learsrx; 03-01-2007 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:55 AM
wrencher

The disc is also different, they have less input shaft splines.
Alot of cobra guys opt for the LS1 style input shaft mod, they are stronger.
Other info from tremec;
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp
Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Forgot to mention that. Whatever you do change the input shaft from a 10 spline to a 26 spline. They cost about $240 to $300 dollars. The clutch disks cost the same regardless of the spline count.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say go with the adj. quadrant and I had around 500rwhp in my Cobra still on the 10-spline and i experienced, no problems at all...But if youre looking for more power than that, I'd definitely invest in the 26-spline conversion for insurance. And I had a DFX clutch in mine which was a little heavier than stock, nothing major IMO, some people complain about it being heavy but it wasnt a biggie to me.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by learsrx
They use a standard diaphram type clutch. Mustangs have used cables since '79. The cables used to break quite a bit but there aren't to many problems with them anymore. Hyrdraulic clutches have a great ability to reduce the amount of force it takes to depress the clutch. You put a stiff clutch in a Mustang and you better start eating your Wheaties. Mustangs still get throw out bearing squeal like everyone else. Dare I say that I own a Mustang but lurk these boards for information on the T-56. It currently has the older TKO with a Mcleod Street Twin--great clutch and about as smooth as it gets for high horsepower cars. Most of the people on this board are enamored with the Textralia. Unfortuantely it is not available for Mustangs. My guess is there are so many Holden vehicles in Australia that they figured that they didn't need to build a Ford version. They could double their sales if they changed the flywheel to fit a Ford--not terribly difficult (enough rant) If you want more information the following boards would better suit your questions: www.corral.net, www.svtperformance.com, www.modularfords.com, www.nmraracing.com, corner-carvers.com (not a Mustang specific website but great tech). Steer away from boards like Stangnet--unless you're interested in some really cool smoked tail light lenses. Hope this helps. I'm waiting to get banned from this board for all of this horrible Blue Oval information. : )

Textralia has been doing R&D on Ford clutches in Australia for quite some time now. There are lots of Mod motor Fords down in Australia, and the Turbo V6 cars also.

We hope to have a full line of very innovative products avaliable for the U.S. market in the not so distant future.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Textralia
Textralia has been doing R&D on Ford clutches in Australia for quite some time now. There are lots of Mod motor Fords down in Australia, and the Turbo V6 cars also.

We hope to have a full line of very innovative products avaliable for the U.S. market in the not so distant future.
Must pass on that info to a guy Ive been chatting to from Norway. Hes doing a twin T76 install on a 5.0 32v Cobra in a car similar to mine.
Pretty sure he's sticking with a manual box.

Will you have something up to that task ?