Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth to debaffle & seal hood to lid?

Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Worth to debaffle & seal hood to lid?

I have an SLP HO hood on a full bolt on and cammed t/a. I figured why not seal the airbox to the lid so that air is actually forced into the engine at high speeds. I realize that the ss ram air is said to be overrated but I don't see how sealing my hood would not help. Do you think it is a worthwhile modification?

I already have some weatherstripping to do the job, someone used the same stripping and ended up with some nice results. I am all for it but I am just a little worried i might mess up my hood and i def don't want to do that.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

It cant hurt, I'd try it. I have a BG Ram air btw
Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

i debaffled my hood, and built little custom air ducts from sheet metal then put some weather strip to seal the lid to the hood. seems like it works, havent tested it at the track yet, but sure sounds like its sucking in a lot more air.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

If u don't drive in stupid weather..go for it..i did.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on doing it when my VFN hood gets here
Old 03-02-2007, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

I debaffled both cars!!! lowered the Intake Air Temp by a decent amount!! definatly made a difference in my opinion!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsok_ok
i debaffled my hood, and built little custom air ducts from sheet metal then put some weather strip to seal the lid to the hood. seems like it works, havent tested it at the track yet, but sure sounds like its sucking in a lot more air.
YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES OF THAT?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

no, basically after the debaffle....you will notice that the ram air inlets are wider than the entrance to the lid, which means the air going in is hitting the sides (just outside the lid entrance) and is kinda just catching all this air resistance in the large area of the ram air hood. So extra air is getting in after the debaffle, but there is alot of air just kinda hanging around inside the hood, and causing some turbulance and resistance. so i just got a carboard box from a christmas present lol (you can use like a large piece of contruction paper or something similar) and stuck it inside one of the hood nostrals, and with a marker I outlined a template (make sure you draw out a few extra notches so that you can keep the final ducts on with screws to the hood outlets-where the rivets use to be, and the inlets - where the honeycone airshields go) then with the template cut out, see if how it fits. once it fits the way you like, you can check and see if that same template works on the other side which it should, you may need to make an extra template for the other side if it doesnt fit as quite as good. so with your template/s, you can get some very thin sheet metal, and short sheet metal screws, trace your template/s and cut it out (i used sheet metal sheers - very easy to cut) i then painted the ducts black to match my car. installed it the next day, and it looks pretty damn good. i was impressed with my first attemp at this, i basically free handed the whole project. the hardest part was screwing the sucker in(sheet metal screws for the back) u really really need a drill, (just use the screws from the honeycomb plastic things to hold the ducts to the front) *make sure you have plenty of notches to keep your ducts on the hood becuase u dont want all kinds of rattling. you can put the honeycomb things on, but i left mine off becuase it looks bad *** being able to see inside at my handy work (which is why i painted it). just take this idea, and you can basically freestyle what you want to do. once you get started on it, it will all make sense and maybe it will be a little different then what i have, but it looks good, it works, and its our only alternative since the BG ram aid kit is no longer made.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by superchargedbandit
YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES OF THAT?
I second that.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

I thought there was someone out there that was making a replica of the bg kit.
Or at least somebody should!!!!

Search this Thread