PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS question??

Old 03-02-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS question??

If VATS is disabled in the computer, could that still cause problems with the car starting? Also, what all physical pieces are involved with the VATS? Wiring harness, little black box, fuse, etc...so that I can lay my hands on them and check them out. Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

No it will not cause starting problems. All the pcm gets is a fuel enable signal from the theft deterent module. however if the lock cylinder is having problems it can cause erratic starter operation.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually yes it still may not let the car start. We tried this yesterday with HPTuners on a friends 01 Z28. His ignition cylinder went bad. Here is a copy/paste from a thread I made on another forum:

Just want to let everyone know, setting the VATS to NONE did absolutely nothing for us. I set it to none and did a standard write as Keith@HPTuners suggested. He said a stadard write is all that is necessary.

Well that might have set it to none in the PCM but it DID NOT DISABLE the VATS.

I also tried doing a Write VIN/TUNERLOCK/VATS and nothing, not a single click,sound, or anything when you turn the key

Also tried a FULL WRITE, ....NOTHING!!! NOT A PEEP!

I ended up ripping the kick panel off, finding the orange wire, and shorting it with the proper resistor...car started right up. This leads me to believe that setting VATS to none to try and turn it off does absolutely nothing as far as disabling it.

Search this Thread