Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

WTF drifting????

Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF drifting????

Anybody else notice where there street race, that they starting to drift and totally forgot about racing. Its very annoying when you see cars that are tryan to drift whenever they could be drag racing. And they cant even drift the right way they do mostly donuts. I even saw a modified 5.0 with draglites and big tires tryan to drift and couldnt at all.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's the cheerleading of auto sports. i guess everyone near you wants to be a cheerleader.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

i don't get either it needs to stay in china though
Old 03-02-2007, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what happens when friggin exagerrated import movies come out. Every kid with a honda thinks they can drift & its the greatest sport ever. Little do they actually know what they call drifting was bein done by people over here back in the 60's-70's with American muscle cars.

They all actually believe that guy over in Japan started it. Like people over here weren't sliding their cars around in parking lots & streets. I swear some kids today have no friggin comman sense.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

they always feel the need to do that stupid **** in a parking lot that you got permission to hang out in.....then the cops come and kick everyone out.....that's how it is in beaumont. when we meet up at kohls.......and they think there the coolest ****
Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Drifting Is For Ricers
Old 03-02-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drifting? what ever, I call it power sliding and It's nothing new.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

times like this im glad my race spot is full of some SICK drag racers, not no drifting lol.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

the only good thing is when we watch the cops roll into the parking lot. go to the very back and hide.....when they hear ppl acting an *** the roll out and catch them.......or when they slide into the curb break there rims
Old 03-02-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

I don't think drifting or "power slides" are for ricers. I mean there aren't to many "ricers" that are rwd and if there useing the E-brake then they are even gayer then ur normal ricer. I am totally into drag racing but kicking it sideways on the street is dam fun and quite a rush too. Now to do it as a "sport" like drag racing is dumb, but showing some muscle going sideways is pretty cool in my book.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=or when they slide into the curb break there rims[/QUOTE]

Thats funny ****...ive even seen the tire snap off and go under the car b/c it caught the pavement at a weird angle
Old 03-02-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by T'sBlack99Z28
I don't think drifting or "power slides" are for ricers. I mean there aren't to many "ricers" that are rwd and if there useing the E-brake then they are even gayer then ur normal ricer. I am totally into drag racing but kicking it sideways on the street is dam fun and quite a rush too. Now to do it as a "sport" like drag racing is dumb, but showing some muscle going sideways is pretty cool in my book.
x2 there's nothing like some American muscle smoking the tires and ridin it sideways.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

powerslides in sweet cars= sweet

people that cant drift but still attempt to in gay cars= teh gay
Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
Drifting? what ever, I call it power sliding and It's nothing new.

Whoa, Thats Some Inspirational ****
Old 03-02-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know several idiots that have wrecked their cars trying to drift, and the funny thing is most of these were front wheel drive cars. Just shows how stupid some people are.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Drifting was invented by Beau Duke in Hazard County.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Teching In

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oSQ0YrJnVac
Old 03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rossi17

WHOOOAA thats AMAZING!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hawk108
WHOOOAA thats AMAZING!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Drifting is a lot harder to execute then you guys think. Sure, dumbasses doing donuts in a parking lot isn't drifting, that's just a donut. I would like to see you guys try to perform some of these drifts.

Load Shift
• Also known as "weight shifting"
• By accelerating or decelerating the car at the right time, and to the right extent, the car's center of weight is moved.
• Weight shifting is what makes all the drifting possible. weight is shifted away from the some of the tires to break traction to initiate the drift, add weight to stop the drift.

Braking Drift
• An advanced technique used to slide the car on entry to a corner. On approaching the corner the driver brakes to shift weight onto the front, and off of the rear tires, the driver then performs the Heel-Toe downshifting technique to keep the car balanced. Once the brakes are released the driver turns into the corner. because of the weight shifted onto the front tires the driver now has better grip to enter the corner, but as he turns in the light rear end should naturally slide. Once this happens you just power over and balance the slide through throttle and steering adjustments. It is a highlevel Dynamic drifting technique that requires the Heel-Toe movement to perform properly and must be timed well.

Shift Lock
This is performed by letting the revs drop on downshift into a corner and then releasing the clutch to put stress on the driveline to slow the rear tires inducing over steer. Can result in an over-rev and engine damage.

Clutch Kick
• This is performed by depressing the clutch pedal on approach or during a mild drift to give a sudden jolt through the driveline to upset rear traction. Using this method results in extreme pressure on the gears and additional wear on the clutch. Clutch kick is similar to shift lock, with the exception that the transmission never actually changes gears.

Dirt Drop Drift
• This is performed by dropping the rear tires off the road into the dirt to maintain or gain drift angle without losing power or speed and to set up for the next turn.
• This technique is used primarily by low power cars

Emergency Brake Drift
• This technique is very basic, The driver pulls the handbrake to lock the rear wheels and initiate a drift, or to correct understeer.
• It works by forcing a loss of traction in the rear. If the car was already turning, this will induce an oversteer, and is the main technique to make the 180 hairpin turn. The longer and more forcefully the handbrake is applied, the more the car will turn.
• This technique is considered so basic that "real" drift drivers rarely touch the handbrake unless in an emergency.

Feint drift
• The feint drift is one of the more simple ways to drift as it doesnt require any sophisticated Heel-Toe movements. The driver simply rocks the car to the outside and snaps the car back like a whip, the 'whip" like action breaks the car loose and into a slide if done right, the driver should be in a low enough gear to keep the rear wheels spinning otherwise you may understeer.
• This is an advanced rally racing technique used to change vehicle attitudes during cornering, mainly tight mountain corners, also called the Scandinavian Flick.
• Feint turning allows a car to enter at a higher speed than usual and is often used to transfer from a drift in one direction to a drift in the other direction (such as the two corners of an S-curve).

Four Wheel Drift
• A drift maneuver in which all four tires begin to slide on the driving surface to some degree. This is considered the most dangerous form of drifting because it is much more likely to lose control while doing this and its entry and exit are often much faster than other forms of drifting.
• It is the most common (and arguably only) form of drifting that provides a tactical advantage in a race against time

Inertia Drift
• The inertia drift is a drift based on high speed and the momentum of the car's center of gravity. Typically the driver will cause the car to slide (most likely from another drift) in the opposite direction of the turn they want to go into for a brief moment. When counter-steering (to steer in the right direction) is applied, because of the car's inertia, the car won't respond to the steering for a while. This counter-steering creates a buildup of force until the car responds to the turn. When the car responds to the turn, the build up of force causes the car to suddenly slide in the correct direction. An example of this effect is say you're pulling a wagon at full strength, but someone else is holding it, preventing the wagon from moving. When that someone lets go, the wagon experiences a sudden force from your pull.
• It is often the fastest way to clear a single hairpin corner and is useful for S curves, but wears tires out significantly.
• The inertia drift is the basic technique behind the four-wheel-drift.
• In Japanese it is called the "Kansei Drift".

Long Side Drift
• This is done by pulling the E-brake on a straight to start a high angle drift and to hold this to set up for the turn ahead (Note: this can only be done at high speed).

Race Drift
• This is performed at race speeds, when entering a high speed corner a driver lifts his foot off the throttle to induce a mild over steer and then balances the drift through steering and throttle motions. (note: the car that is being used for this style of drift should be a neutral balanced car therefore the over steer will induce itself, if the car plows through any turn this technique will not work). Some overlap with Kansei drift.

Straightaway Drifting
• A high-speed drift initiated on a straight section of road in order to achieve a maximum drift angle.

Jump Drift
• In this technique the rear tire on the inside of a turn or apex is bounced over a curb to lose traction resulting in over steer.

Accel-Off/Dynamic Drift
• The drift is started by accelerating towards a turn and then letting off the accelerator, and then reapplying acceleration to lock the rear wheels upon entry.

And yes, people in the states where drifting on dirt roads runnin moonshine a long time ago. But it was in Japan where they started drifting down mountain roads as a form of street racing.

Search this Thread