Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Custom coloring

Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self-Customization yes or no?

Ok guys here's the deal. I have a '99 Firebird with stock wheels and stock cloth interior. I have two ideas floating around in my head that are those kinda things that you half-joke about to people until you find someone who agrees, at which point you admit that you were serious the whole time. Here they are:

1) You know how if you spill certain things on cloth, it stains? Well, since I dont wanna spend the money to have my entire car re-apholstered, is there any way that i can take some kind of liquid and "spill" it (in a very controlled manner) evenly over everything to "stain" it that color? Sounds cheap, but kinda makes sense to me.

2) I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is there any way to just to a quick black spray-paint job on wheels? Keep in mind that I have old Stock wheels, so if I ruin them I won't be losing much. I'm fairly certain that the paint would chip eventually, but spray paint is very cheap and I wouldn't mind re-applying a coat every week or so in exchange for quick black rims.

Thoughts guys? Dont be mean...Remember, at least I'm not stupid enough to try these things without consulting you guys first =p.

Last edited by mistermoonpie; 03-02-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1) you can try this stuff people spill on things when they want them different colors. I think its called dye.lol. i want to try this as well i have a 99 trans am and a 95 firebird. tan leather in my ta and light gray cloth in my firebird. I just put black racing seats in my trans am so im thinking of putting all the tan leather in my firebird and taking the back seats out of the firebird and dying them black to match the front.

2) you can do a pretty good job if you prep the wheels right. Are they the silver ones? if so, all you do is degrease them really well, go through the sanding process(im not sure which grit to tell you to use and im not going to tell you to do something if im not sure),mask what you dont want black, and sparay black, and then a clearcoat. you could probably get it done for between 20 and 30 dollars and itd have a nice finish as far as stock painted wheels go, and you wouldn't have to redo it every week. What wheels do you plan on buying in the future?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Yea but would it be a good idea to try to dye the interior? I dont see how there's much of a margin for error because I just want full black so There wouldn't be any chance of uneven-ness, cuz it would be all black...

As for the wheels, Im not sure what you mean by silver. Theyre definitely not Chrome, if thats what you mean. Theyre just stock aluminum wheels. But you say I can paint them? thats pretty cool. I dont know what kind ill get in the future. Any suggestions? I have the navy blue 99 firebird, if that helps the color scheme at all
Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Launching!

I can't quite remember who makes it but there is actually a product that's a spray dye. We used it in the detail shop that I worked at.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

The Stock Wheels Have A Clear Coat And Must Be Scuffed First Or It Wont Stick

Search this Thread