Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Issues After Header Install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Issues After Header Install?

I've had an issue for several months now where the longer I drive my Firehawk, the harder it is to start.
It all started back after I got my Dynatech Supermaxx header system installed. There's a high crank, less than one year old battery installed, too.
When it's cold, it cranks right up like a demon. The more I drive it, and the hotter the car gets, the harder it is to start.
It's not a whining issue like with a battery. It just won't turn over when you turn the key the first time.
The consensus among those I spoke with locally was that the solenoid was becoming heat soaked due to the new source of heat coming off of the headers.
I had a thermal wrap installed over the starter today by the same shop that did the headers/plugs/wires install hopingo to eliminate the problem.
But as soon as I left and stopped somewhere else, it did it again.
It's like you have to give it a little bit extra effort to get it going.
Again, this is after the car has been driven and heated up, then cooled down. When completely cold, it starts up like a champ.
Any ideas on what this could be? I don't want to go into guessing at changing the starter etc. etc. if I don't have to.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the solenoid engage slowly...?
Does your starter slow...?

Are you sure it's not some other problem (plugs, wires, sensors, injectors, fuel pressure, rich/lean, ground connections, etc...)...?

I have JetHot coated Supermaxx's and don't have this problem (hot or cold, I barely touch the key to the start position and it fire's right up).
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

how close are the headers to the starter sounds like the starter is heat soaking.is the heat shield on the starter if not get one thats the prob
Old 03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

The heat shield was just installed today. I only had the chance to drive it and restart it twice since the install, so I'll need a few more days to see if it helped. But I was told the shield would solve the problem. Sure hope so...?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 72 chevelle. The headers from the 454 were almost touching the starter. Like yours, mine would start fine when it was cold, but once the car was warmed up the starter would drag. I had to get a mini starter to fix the problem.