General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I need to replace the neutral safety switch.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Location: I live in Hamilton, Ohio, located between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I need to replace the neutral safety switch.

Hello fellow Camaro fans, Road Warriors and shade tree mechanics. This is my first post, looks like lots of helpful people here so I wanted to try this forum out. I have a 2000 Z28 Camaro, model B4C, Police Interceptor. It has been clicking and not starting when I hit the ignition key. I noticed it did it once in a while when I first bought the car last year. I could jiggle the shifter or fiddle with the brake pedal and it world crank.
I have checked everthing on the starting system and I am convinced I need a replacement neutral saftey switch. Would someone here tell me the procedure or at least what to expect and what tools I might need, this before I crawl under the car. Any helpful advice I will be grateful for.
Steve
Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The neutral safety switch (if that is what is really causing the problem) is an easy fix. If you get on your back under the drivers side dash, you will see it near the top of the clutch pedal assembly. It is a small off-white box with a little nub coming out of it. It basically snaps into place and has a connector on it. I had an SES light last year for it, so I bought another switch without looking at it first. When I got under there, I saw that the switch itself wasn't bad, just the plastic hanger for it broke so it was sitting cockeyed and not getting the right signal. I ziptied it and it was fine. But if you are replacing it, it is not a difficult job.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Location: I live in Hamilton, Ohio, located between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio.

Thanks for the reply Keliente, after eading the forum through I am going to check the ground where it bolts to the engine and the starter replay first. I also have seveal extra keys to look at the VATS system. Thanks again, you guys are a ton of help.
Steve
Old 03-04-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya i would definitely check the vehicle anti theft module in the keys, and make sure that key is allowing the car to start. Even though if you could mess with diffenre things and get the car to start that doesnt seem like its the problem. I've been doing a lot of testng with my neutral safety switch with cruise control. It is real easy to replace. the plastic tab it threads into just unpops out of the bracket its held in with, and the switch itself just unthreads.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the advice guys. It turned out to be a problem with the key, and I cleaned up the starter and ignition relays, now she is starting each and every time. With out your help on this forum I would have never figured things out. Give each of you a pat on the back, another job well done by the forum. Again thank you very much.
Steve
HAMIlton, Ohio
Old 03-04-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cleaned the key or the actaul key socket on the column (thinking of spraying some contact cleaner in there myself

Quick Reply: I need to replace the neutral safety switch.