General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

flashing SES light....and very sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default flashing SES light....and very sluggish

on the way to work this morning, the SES light came on (steady light)..and the car seemed to be a little(and i do mean a little ) sluggish..barely, but still a bit sluggish..after work, i turned my car on and i heard a weird noise..i popped the hood and noticed the the serpentien belt/timing belt was ripping apart...i cut the excess pieces of the belt, i drove the car for about 10ft to see how bad it was and it was very very sluggish..my question is, would the belt falling apart cause the SES light to come on and start flashing??hohpefully the belt is the only problem..thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a better idea to just pull the codes and go from there. Belt can shred for many reasons...it's old...waterpump/pulley etc locks up...SES light can come on for 500 reasons.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

my SES light came on when i noticed the factory coolant sensor was broke (plastic part). i pulled it off and then noticed the light was on, steady light. and it wouldnt start on its own after it warmed up without giving it throttle. i replaced the sensor with a new one and after gave it some more fluid. Thats when i noticed the SES light flashing 12 times, stop for a lil bit and then start flashing again.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Launching!

yea, ill be getting the scanner from autozone tomorrow and ill post the codes that it spits out
Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a steady SES light will be a stored, or active code. The light comes on when OBD monitors run a trip, and record something wrong. They then store a code, and the light will remain on until the problem is fixed, and the monitor is ran and the problem is no longer apparent. A flashing SES light is usually an indication of a catalyst damaging misfire. So a water pump problem may have caused something to happen emissions wise and store a code, but if that light is flashing you had a misfire. I would try to pull codes with a more detailed scanner than a generic obd scanner. GM dealership with a tech 2 would be your best bet.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

that means a misfire on spark plug(s). cars probably sluggish cause the plugs may need to be changed. i had that after i put soem really bad plugs in my car and i had to take them back out.