Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS and R&P fittings and lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS and R&P fittings and lines

I have a 2000 Camero LS1 in a 1962 Corvette. I am using the stock PS pump with Mustang II rack and pinion. Does anyone know where I can find the correct fittings for both of these plus find the lines.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wade
Old 03-02-2007, 10:55 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have the fittings for the rack and pump already you can have hoses made at most NAPA stores, just don`t tell them its for power steering I heard they won`t do it then.

You can also try a hydraulic hose shop, you can usually find them within reasonable driving distance by looking in the yellow pages and they should have or be able to get the correct ends for the rack and pump.

The low pressure return line does not need to be fabricated, it is normally just hose clamped on and you can get that line by the foot at almost any autoparts store, even the chain ones.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Default Which ports

GBody, which ports on the R&P are pressure and which are returns?
Thanks,
Wade
Old 03-02-2007, 11:23 PM

Sorry, but I can`t be of help there, I don`t have any experience with R&P`S
Old 03-03-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most tubing or Hydraulic shop in my area will make Power Steering line or hoses. they just need to use the correct type of fittings, tubing or hose that is rated to handle the heat and pressure.. You can make your own with some Earl's, Russell or other manufactor of AN fitting.. you will need to use Teflon line or other rated hose ortubing.

I just used Russell Fittings and Russell Teflon Line Stainless Steel hose that is rated for Power steering requirements.

As far as which is high or low on the R&P ... sorry... .not have any experience either.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Teching In

This should help

http://www.gottashow.com/images/pwstr_res-bkgrd.jpg

Last edited by kdawgmfic; 03-03-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
If you have the fittings for the rack and pump already you can have hoses made at most NAPA stores, just don`t tell them its for power steering I heard they won`t do it then.

You can also try a hydraulic hose shop, you can usually find them within reasonable driving distance by looking in the yellow pages and they should have or be able to get the correct ends for the rack and pump.

The low pressure return line does not need to be fabricated, it is normally just hose clamped on and you can get that line by the foot at almost any autoparts store, even the chain ones.
Yup, that's exactly what happened to me - NAPA said no for some reason. Found a local shop that was more than willing to put it together for me, though - I used the stock gearbox end from my truck's power steering, and the stock pump end from the Camaro hose, and they just cut them and put them both on some high-quality rubber hose.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 PM

I used a stock GM line on my conversion, but I read a few threads about having PS lines made. They all said that NAPA would make them......as long as you didn`t tell them it was for powersteering . I guess it has something to do with liability....but come on like they don`t know what the line is for as soon as you give it to them .
Old 03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

So the connection closest to the bottom is the pressure side of the Mustang II rack?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gottashow did a great job on mine (link above).

Quick Reply: PS and R&P fittings and lines