Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my head/cam swap, and all the other crap too. Loooong

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my head/cam swap, and all the other crap too. Loooong

just thought Id put up some pics just for the fun of it. its almost back together. waiting for the pushrods still since I wanted to measure after I had the heads bolted/torqued in place. here's a description of the car/mods

2002 mecham TA #3
T56, spec st.3 clutch, pro 5.0, 3:73 gears, lid, FRA mod, hooker long tube headers/offroad Ypipe, catback, rear lowering springs, front QA1's/springs, STB, SLP diamond conns, line lock, and some convo pro's with et streets and front runners.
no tuning pre. except for the 3:73 gears. it put down 310/310 right before this stage of mods for a good baseline. its a mustang dyno that has been known to be stingy and I'll be getting the dyno tune done there soon.
this car is a triple purpose car. street fun, show, race.

so here's the mods performed this time around. Ive been working on this since november in my freetime. sometimes 3 times a week, sometimes skipping weeks alltogether. pretty much skipped december. anyways...

home ported heads, milled .033", cometic .040" head gaskets, custom cam 235/242 112+2 .649/.612 spec'd by predator. ported throttle body, 30lb inj.s, dynotune, paint LS6 intake, external polish; tbody, waterpump, maf ends (not ported), belt tens., a/c lines. powdercoat valve covers, TR coil relocation, !wire mod, paint rear axle, !A.I.R., !Evap, !pcv, Oil/Fuel press. gauges a piller and ported/shimmed my oil pump. yep its a TON of work. but its been a great son/father project (Im teaching pops about his car.)
Im only hoping the rear axle lives for a while, but it will get a 9" when it needs it, along with a denny's nitrous ready Dshaft.

I ported a set of 853's that was donated to me by a friend/customer when I swapped his motor out. got ok flow #s, a little dissapointed but they will be alot better then stock. good stepping stone till my dad can afford some real nice heads. prolly wont need them for a while since he needs to learn how to drive the car at the track as it is. let alone after this round of mods. should be capable of hitting mid/high 11's in this form once completed.

here's the final #s on the heads
I E
.1 70.3 54.7
.2 150.9 111.2
.3 208.6 151.1
.4 250.1 187.7
.5 253.3 194.1
.6 261.9 202.1
.650 263
.7 266.3
and a couple port pics

here's a few pics of the build up.
before:

dont mind the mess. I just moved in last winter, still had lots of clutter.

cams in and degree'd. mine was perfect.

initial clay test. def. need to notch the pistons.

here's how we set up to flycut and keep it all clean.

here's my dad cutting an exh. notch.

ended up cutting .120 out of the int. side, and .080 out of the exh. side. those numbers are NOT the end all clearance #s, just a reference for me how much they have been cut. got .100I and .120E clearance. more then enough.

and yes, the #1 int. is a bit too deep. its .140" accidently. that **** cuts fast ya know.

sneak peak of the waterpump. it'll be a shame to cover it up with all the other underhood crap.

thats it for now.. gonna work on it in the morning. will add pics if there's significant progress.

questions/comments welcome. hoping to have it running again in the next couple weeks. prolly gonna add a polished speed inc. fuel rail kit when we put in the 30lb inj.s after its up and running and ready to go down the street for the tune.

chris

Last edited by Irocss85; 03-02-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

how in the world did you get the water pump looking that nice??? I have never seen one with "attention to detail for a part that will go out like they do? I'd love to know is it polished or chromed? Who did the job for you and approximately what would that cost?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks real good, nice job.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice job. I always wanted a two post lift but knew it wouldn't clear the roof in my garage. Looks like you found a solution.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

the waterpump has been a PAIN IN THE *** to polish. started out with my die grinder and some course sand paper rolls to remove the casting flash, and the stamping pads where they stamp in the part/serial #s. then moved to 220 grit rolls to sand out the cast finish, and try to get into the corners. then it was all hand work from there. with little tiny pieces of sand paper and lots of elbow grease. the worst part is when you progress to the polishing stage, only to realize there are still some sanding scratches that you didnt get out a few steps ago! F@@K! but I learned alot doin this project all the way through it.
I thought about the possible short term life expectancy of the part actually when i started, but this eng./waterpump only has 6K miles on it after 5 years, so it should last a long time. or I'll shoot someone.
there is a guy on here who frequents the detailing forum. his name is joshua and I dont think he's a sponsor, but if your interested I can PM you his website. he does this stuff for pretty reasonable prices. you get a brand new waterpump for around $380 or something like that. or you could send him your parts. the waterpump looks way cooler in person then in the pics though.

jub jub, we just had this house built last year, and Im a tech at a dealership. the hoist I use at work is a 7000 lb lift and its just under 11' tall to the very top. I measured that, and made sure my ceiling was atleast a few inch's taller then I needed. only to find out shortly after moving in, that they DONT MAKE 7K lb hoists anymore in the 2 post, clear floor style. so I had to buy the 10K lb hoist. so my ceiling is 11'3", but the hoist is 12'1". ohwell, it still works. I also had to get a special garage door track with a diff. radius that would hug the ceiling more then a normal track. now Im all set though cause the door doesnt come close to an Fbody even when its all the way up, and the car comes nowhere near the ceiling either. only thing I have to look out for is I cant go all the way up to the stop if the hood is up. its a few inch's shy.
I still gotta finish inside the garage this summer I hope. patch the drywall back and trim out around the post where it pass's through and put some paint on the walls. and hopefully seal the floor with the garage floor epoxy paint "Ucoat it" oh, and finish my work bench thats in front of the hoist.