Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NBM Rattle Can?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NBM Rattle Can?

Do they sell it or something VERY close to it? My front bumper looks like **** from rock chips and tapping a parking curb once (I'm so embarassed ) when I first got the car. I don't want to spend the money on a repaint right now but I was hoping I could just rattle can the job. I did it on my black Z34 two years ago and it looked shittons better but black is a universal color.

So has anyone found a rattle clan that is close enough in color? Or am I screwed?

And any tips? I figure I'll just sand it all the way down, primer, paint, and clear. I ordered a Meguiar's PC package that should be here this weekend so I have that to polish the clear up a bit once it cures too.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a duplicolor rattle-can at autozone. They also have the little touch up pen. You just have to look up the number in the little book they give you. I've used the pen before, for little chips, and it blends really well.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I used the pen thing on my hood for some rock chips (has the brush with it) but never noticed the rattle can. What do you look it up under? Is it paint code or color?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Dupli-Color Auto Spray from Walmart. The code on the cap is: DS GM 505 Navy Blue (M)
Old 03-04-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Another option, ...
GM 12371320, 5oz spray can from your dealer.
Special order tho, might hafta wait a week, so WallyWorld would be quicker.
12345119 clearcoat. lightly wetsand, & buff it out.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome! I'll be hitting up Wal-Mart for it then. My Meguiar's PC kit should be here tomorrow. I hope to be polishing this weekend as long as the weather is nice.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

I used the Dupli_COlor rattle can spray for my interior and it matched almost perfect. The pen i used (GM NBM) tho, was like 2 shades lighter.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried Super Wal-Mart and Advance Auto and have had no luck. Wal-Mart just doesn't carry Dupli-Color (at least the two in my area) and Advance only has a small spray can of it. I need the big one...

Can you order straight from Dupli-Color?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They have them at O'Reilly's too.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

None of those around here. It looks like Dupli-Color only carries them in the small cans... I may just pick up the two that are at Advance and hope that's enough. I really don't want to run out...
Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
None of those around here. It looks like Dupli-Color only carries them in the small cans... I may just pick up the two that are at Advance and hope that's enough. I really don't want to run out...
I used a can for my front bumper area also---bought 2 small cans at local shop....came out pretty good.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay cool. Looks like I'll be picking up the two small cans from Advance.

It was enough to do the entire bumper?

Can you PM me or post the process you went through for your bumper? I figure I'll sand with 60 grit (maybe start with 220) to get the majority of the paint off and step up a bit in the grit to smooth it out some. Throw down a coat of primer, sand to smooth, one more coat of primer, light sanding again. Then throw down a few real light coats of paint to cover the area until it's completely covered. Then I'll throw down a lot of light coats of clear with some wet sanding once it's dry.

Sound good? Should I wet-sand between coats of paint? I'm afraid that wet sanding will loosen the paint up too much and just remove too much.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I went back to Advance and now I see that they don't have DSGM505. They have DSGM393 which looks dead nuts on but it doesn't match the 1999 Navy Blue... I didn't pick it up because I'm worried it won't match. They don't carry DSGM505 and neither does Pep Boys. This is ridiculous... the part #s skip right over 505.

I'm gonna try Wal-Mart again hoping I overlooked it and I know what I'm looking for now. I was hoping to get this all done tomorrow... looks like I'll be waking up early to see what I can find.

I found where I can order it online but I'm trying to avoid that since shipping will be stupid on this.

The only stores around here are Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and Wal-Mart. There's a local NAPA but I don't think they carry paint supplies. I was going to check tonight but they were already closed.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure where you are located, but I will check here. If I find it I can ship it to you. I do alot of shipping so I have boxes and print shipping labels here.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be awesome. I'm going to look one more time today and then I will shoot you a PM to let you know. I'm in Pottstown, PA so there's probably some stores in your area that aren't up here.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good. Yes, there is a little distance between us!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having second thoughts about this now... I painted the bumper on my Z34 but that was a piece of **** and anything was an improvement. But this is a car I've wanted my whole life... do I really want to half-*** the job? Nope. I'm going to hit up a local paint place that was recommended to me and see what they'll charge me to paint it if I prep it completely (sand + primer).

If I had been able to pick up the paint already I would give it a shot for the hell of it but I don't think it's worth the search.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found two cans if you are interested. I have used it under the hood and on some side markers with great results. Don't know about using the rattle can on the exterior. The front end would be extra tricky because its plastic. I vote for doing it right. Let me know if you need the cans.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

the parts store should be able to order it for you, or go online for partsamerica.com, the color must match the paint code number dont try it just because it looks the same it will not match. use duplicolor paint but it only comes in the small cans for cars
Old 03-10-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking of just getting one can to touch it up and get a pro job later on when I've got the money for it. Right now I'm saving for a wedding next year lol. I got an estimate for my bumper alone and he said ~$400 and he'd rather I didn't prep it so he knows it's done exactly the way it should be. I can respect that but goddamn that's a lot of money...

99zee, how much for one can to my door at 19464? I'll Paypal the coin to you.

I may consider using it under the hood as well... I'd have to think of something to paint though lol

Quick Reply: NBM Rattle Can?