Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reluctor wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reluctor wheel ?

I have 97 LS1 and I'm putting in a LS7 from SDPC. Both cranks have the 24x reluctor wheels,But on the 97 the teeth are wider(longer) and on the LS7 motor the teeth are narrow(shorter).Does that make a difference? I'm going to be swapping what ever I can from the 97 motor to the LS7. I'm also putting on the timing cover with the sensor on it,So does this timing cover with the sensor on it work with that reluctor wheel (narrow teeth) on the LS7 motor?My rear cover from the LS1 seems to fit on the LS7 is that OK or is there any differenc?Also my cam should work with the newer motor right?I just want to make sure I do this right the first time I would call SDPC,But they are closed Sat. & Sun..............Paul

Last edited by DRIVER456; 03-04-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Anybody?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Reluctor

The stock LS7 crank has a 58x (fine tooth) reluctor. If your car had the earlier 24x reluctor, you'll have to put a 24x reluctor on whichever crank (LS7 or aftermarket) that you're using. The LS7 crank snout is longer for the dry sump system and would have to be shortened($$$) to be used in a wet sump configuration.

The timing cover from an LS2 (w/cam sensor) will work as long as you have the LS2 timing set. There are two of these covers though, the earlier one has a steel plate on the exterior and the later one does not. I'm not certain of the difference in functionality (if any) of these two covers. There also two cam position sensors (black and grey), and depending on who you talk to, may or may not be compatible.

You'll also have to rethread the LS7 knock sensor bosses to allow use of the LS1/6 knock sensors.

Katech can fix you up with the necessary harness adapters to convert the LS7 block to the earlier electronics.

Don't forget to drill the LS7 block for your dipstick!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scatillac
The stock LS7 crank has a 58x (fine tooth) reluctor. If your car had the earlier 24x reluctor, you'll have to put a 24x reluctor on whichever crank (LS7 or aftermarket) that you're using. The LS7 crank snout is longer for the dry sump system and would have to be shortened($$$) to be used in a wet sump configuration.

The timing cover from an LS2 (w/cam sensor) will work as long as you have the LS2 timing set. There are two of these covers though, the earlier one has a steel plate on the exterior and the later one does not. I'm not certain of the difference in functionality (if any) of these two covers. There also two cam position sensors (black and grey), and depending on who you talk to, may or may not be compatible.

You'll also have to rethread the LS7 knock sensor bosses to allow use of the LS1/6 knock sensors.

Katech can fix you up with the necessary harness adapters to convert the LS7 block to the earlier electronics.

Don't forget to drill the LS7 block for your dipstick!
The LS7 crank has a 24x relucter,It just looks different, reread what I wrote you will see what I mean.The LS7 block has the dip stick hole already & knock senser holes.I have the black sensor.I want to know if the REAR cover fits..............Paul
Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Question reluctor

can you do a tune and change this.far as the reluctor deal
Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

if it looks different it is different,, the narrow and short is the 58x reluctor, the fat/wide is the 24x wheel, you will need to have it swapped out to the 24x wheel