Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lost 2nd gear T56

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost 2nd gear T56

A couple of weeks ago I was heading to work on Hulen. I just left the light shifted from 1st to 2nd. I wasn't even all the way through the intersection. Wasn't romping on it or giving it hell. It pulled about 10 feet in 2nd. I heard a loud pop and it revved the engine. I slowed down shifted back to 1st it was ok. Went back to 2nd and it revved the engine again. So I skipped 2nd and shifted to 3rd. Drove around the rest of the day like that (skipping 2nd). I don't have near the hp that these transmission will hold up to considering its in a mildly modded 3rd gen.

I got the service manual for when I do the tear down. I'm hoping its just the 2nd gear keys. I hear no noise or anything shifting into any gears all is normal. When I'm sitting still and I shift to 2nd and let off the clutch. There isn't any jerk or attempt to stall at all. It will just roll like its in neutral.

The big question is. Is it safe to drive like it is skipping 3rd until I can line up a place to tear it down. Since I live in an apt complex pulling a transmission is next to impossible.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt1
A couple of weeks ago I was heading to work on Hulen. I just left the light shifted from 1st to 2nd. I wasn't even all the way through the intersection. Wasn't romping on it or giving it hell. It pulled about 10 feet in 2nd. I heard a loud pop and it revved the engine. I slowed down shifted back to 1st it was ok. Went back to 2nd and it revved the engine again. So I skipped 2nd and shifted to 3rd. Drove around the rest of the day like that (skipping 2nd). I don't have near the hp that these transmission will hold up to considering its in a mildly modded 3rd gen.

I got the service manual for when I do the tear down. I'm hoping its just the 2nd gear keys. I hear no noise or anything shifting into any gears all is normal. When I'm sitting still and I shift to 2nd and let off the clutch. There isn't any jerk or attempt to stall at all. It will just roll like its in neutral.

The big question is. Is it safe to drive like it is skipping 3rd until I can line up a place to tear it down. Since I live in an apt complex pulling a transmission is next to impossible.
yes, just get a little more RPM in 1st to avoid slipping the clutch too much when shifting into 3rd.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
yes, just get a little more RPM in 1st to avoid slipping the clutch too much when shifting into 3rd.
So it should be ok to drive it as is. I was shifting from 1st to 3rd at around 15mph to keep it from bogging so much in 3rd. The big thing is getting it inspected. The inspection is out which really sux. Where were the speeds they run it at? Maybe they will be able to skip 2nd and be at an ok rpm to run the dyno on it. The only thing is having to carry 1st gear out too far to make it to 3rd effectivly causing it to fail the test being a large possibility.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're gunna need to pull it apart sooner or later to fix it. The sooner the better and cheaper it will be for you. If there's pieces of metal floating around the trans they have the potential to cause more damage.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NassyVette
You're gunna need to pull it apart sooner or later to fix it. The sooner the better and cheaper it will be for you. If there's pieces of metal floating around the trans they have the potential to cause more damage.
Well I know this fact. As stated just driving it till I can arrange a place and time to tear it apart. As right now I'm driving the girlfriends Cavy. My moms geo blew up on me. Trans is totally gone in it. Shakes the whole car and the cv axles aren't even turning while doing it. :-( Hell its a geo aka throw away car. Has 130k on it. It was time anyway. lmao

Quick Reply: Lost 2nd gear T56