Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine detail

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine detail

Ok, I don't need a link to the engine detail thing, but i do want to know what some of you use on the rubber hoses and black plastic in the bay, and what do you use to make the stock ls6 intake nice and shiny, I just got a trans am and it being my first ls1 want to keep it nice a clean and hope to dress up the engine properly. But first off I want to start with a clean and shiny area.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just use warm water and a little dawn soap
Old 03-03-2007, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

This is what i use. I WILL NOT use anything else.

-Wash engine bay with degreeser(i use whats called "greenstuff" from professinal products) This will remove any oil dust grease blah blah.
-Then rise with hose
-Air dry with compressed air/wet dry vac if thats all you have
-Let it air dry to be prefectly dry
-USE PLEDGE yes PLEDGE like you would use on home furniture. A soft deail brush works great to get into areas on the intake/and around hoses and other crevises. Then use a old t shirt to buff the rest up. feel free to let it sit and soak in a bit. The first time you might want to apply this twice to make it really set in.

I prefer and only reccomend pledge. My dad has used this on his 72 nova since 73 and the interior is all original no splits cracks or anything so that there tells you it does not affect rubber/leather/plastic.

Of cousre dont wash your car first. Make sure to was the engine bay and pledge the engine bay first as when you spray the pledge its oily and will smear on the paint(i have a black car).

This is by far the cleanest look to me. I HATE armoral as its super shiney and looks over done and nasty. The pledge will last a long time every time you drive the car simply use a fether duster soft paint brush and a rag to get into various areas to clean um up. Belive me you will love it.

Kyle
Old 03-03-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing I've recently discovered. I used Meguiars cleaner wax on some of the black hoses and it returned them to looking new. No need to add any dressing.

When I do go to a big show, I will pull out the CD2 engine detailer spray. But that is hard to get.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97 Z Me Go
This is what i use. I WILL NOT use anything else.

-Wash engine bay with degreeser(i use whats called "greenstuff" from professinal products) This will remove any oil dust grease blah blah.
-Then rise with hose
-Air dry with compressed air/wet dry vac if thats all you have
-Let it air dry to be prefectly dry
-USE PLEDGE yes PLEDGE like you would use on home furniture. A soft deail brush works great to get into areas on the intake/and around hoses and other crevises. Then use a old t shirt to buff the rest up. feel free to let it sit and soak in a bit. The first time you might want to apply this twice to make it really set in.

I prefer and only reccomend pledge. My dad has used this on his 72 nova since 73 and the interior is all original no splits cracks or anything so that there tells you it does not affect rubber/leather/plastic.

Of cousre dont wash your car first. Make sure to was the engine bay and pledge the engine bay first as when you spray the pledge its oily and will smear on the paint(i have a black car).

This is by far the cleanest look to me. I HATE armoral as its super shiney and looks over done and nasty. The pledge will last a long time every time you drive the car simply use a fether duster soft paint brush and a rag to get into various areas to clean um up. Belive me you will love it.

Kyle
I can definitely vouge for this technique. It does work extremely well and I will not use anything else ever again!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never thought about Pledge. I use to use it on my Mountain bike but only cause that was anodized aluminum and it really helped keep the mud from sticking.

I might have to give Pledge a shot for this show season at the local shows.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great idea using the pledge. I might have to give that a shot. But just out or curiosity, how the hell did your dad come up with using somthing like that to clean an engine bay??
Old 03-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Launching!

great idea, wil pick some up tomorrow, thanks a ton!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
Great idea using the pledge. I might have to give that a shot. But just out or curiosity, how the hell did your dad come up with using somthing like that to clean an engine bay??
No idea. His nova is a show car but he drives it around town and to the shows it NEVER sees a tralor so some how or another he always wipes the motor down when he gets home with it to keep it spotless and he uses pledge not exatly sure how he found the idea but i love it.

kyle
Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRTY LS1
I can definitely vouge for this technique. It does work extremely well and I will not use anything else ever again!
LOL I'm sorry, I know what you meant, but I couldnt help picturing the Madonna vogue hand thing.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have lemon pledge, will that work?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

It was the 70's, he was stoned and was wanting to clean his car, and didn't have any armor all... Duh..

lol

I use simple green but pledge sounds good, i'll try that once the weather turns nicer.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use pledge as well. If you have a black car (or at least a black bay) then the dust and small dirt particles stand out big time. I don't have much encrusted dirt/grime since my car never sees bad weather so the pledge is all I need to keep the bay looking good.