Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove A/C Belt and now Power Steering not working?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove A/C Belt and now Power Steering not working?!

Ok well I removed MORE than just the A/C belt but the rest of that stuff was put back on I just finished reinstalling the damn crank pulley because it had worked itself lose the other night on my way home! (sucks)

Upon putting it back together two questions

1. I wasn't able to get the A/C belt back on - I will do it when I installed an Underdrive pulley. Will NOT having the A/C belt on cause any issues? Balance on the crank, etc?

2. Car is hard to turn to the left (it's like there is NO power steering), but it turns "just fine" to the right. Did i screw up the steering rack?! I know it needs a little power steering fluid (it's low, but there is still some on the dipstick so it isn't empty)

Thanks for the thoughts! I know a lot of this is mundane to people but I've always seen a great bunch of members willing to help out, so I hope there are a few people that can help!

- Jeff
Old 03-04-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That has to do with the rack, the ps pump should be fine as long as no lines were disconnected or removed.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try and bleed the system, turn the wheel all the way to the left to where it makes the hissing noise and hold it there for 10 seconds, then bring it back and do it on the right side. do it about 3 times on each side and see if that helps.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I would do is tripple check the belt routing (serpantine). I have had my rack out a few times and never had this problem. I would also get more fluid in it. Double check those 2 flare nuts on the rack fluid control housing thing where the steering shaft coupler thing bolts on.