Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you pick heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you pick heads?

Excuse my ignorance guys. I have no idea what set of heads to go with... after a bit of research i've concluded i want to go with a G5X1 cam with a 112 LSA.... my other mods are Kooks LT's, Magnaflow 2.5" Mandrel Bent exhaust, LS6 Manifold, and SLP Lid..... i also might spray a small ammount after all is said and done

What heads would go good with this setup? Money is not a huge concern so im looking for best performance for the buck...

the car will be used on the street mostly but get frequent drag use at the track...

Last edited by exit; 03-05-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

Simplest way is to look at what will fit without flycutting, then go with the ones that flow the most at the lift that cam operates at, while keeping in the chamber size in mind. If your cam has a lift of .598 or whatever, then what heads flow at .650 lift doesn't really matter does it?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

If you want the best ET heads.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by exit
Money is not a huge concern so im looking for best performance for the buck...
Thats a bit contradictory.

If money isnt a concern, then your looking for an aftermarket casting.

If your looking for the best performance for the buck, then your looking for a set of thoes stage 1 LS6 heads that everyone is making.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

A lot of people go for the "bigger is better" way of thinking and it's not right. Your car barely has any mods, a stock rearend, and a stock clutch or converter. Figure out what you're going to do there first. Once you have that figured out, then decide how fast you want to go. I myself am shooting for mid 11's, so I am going to run PRC Stage 2.5 5.3 heads. They have a smaller runner size to boost streetable power and they'll bump my compression up so I get more torque across the rev range. Don't make the mistake of running heads with huge ports and big flow numbers because you'll have an engine that only makes power from 5000 RPM up and it's going to suck on the street.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

very easy, look for the most proven heads. Ill make it easy on you, look in my sig

TFS & ETP are also top notch. But AFR are a simple bolt on head. TFS & ETP need after market roller rockers = $$$
Old 03-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
A lot of people go for the "bigger is better" way of thinking and it's not right. Your car barely has any mods, a stock rearend, and a stock clutch or converter. Figure out what you're going to do there first. Once you have that figured out, then decide how fast you want to go. I myself am shooting for mid 11's, so I am going to run PRC Stage 2.5 5.3 heads. They have a smaller runner size to boost streetable power and they'll bump my compression up so I get more torque across the rev range. Don't make the mistake of running heads with huge ports and big flow numbers because you'll have an engine that only makes power from 5000 RPM up and it's going to suck on the street.
Acctually i have a LS7 Clutch with a LS2 Flywheel... so the clutch is fine... the car is also dropped on a Pro Kit with Bilstein shocks...

the rear i will worry about later... after i blow it (it's a weekend/whenever i want to drive car)

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Thats a bit contradictory.

If money isnt a concern, then your looking for an aftermarket casting.

If your looking for the best performance for the buck, then your looking for a set of thoes stage 1 LS6 heads that everyone is making.
Not entirely, allow my to clarify.

I want heads that will make really good power... but if im comparing 2 differnt brands... and one of them will only make an extra 5 horsepower but will cost an extra $200 dollars.... it's probably better that i got with the slightly cheaper one since i will be getting pretty much the same ammount of power

Originally Posted by Jperran
Simplest way is to look at what will fit without flycutting, then go with the ones that flow the most at the lift that cam operates at, while keeping in the chamber size in mind. If your cam has a lift of .598 or whatever, then what heads flow at .650 lift doesn't really matter does it?
I don't follow.... which means i should do more research... but thx for the advice

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
very easy, look for the most proven heads. Ill make it easy on you, look in my sig

TFS & ETP are also top notch. But AFR are a simple bolt on head. TFS & ETP need after market roller rockers = $$$
I was acctually leaning towards AFR but wasn't 100% sure. I wanted easy to install heads + compliments my cam.... which AFR heads would go well with a G5X1 cam? any idea how much of a power increase i can expect from the both things?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th t/a

I don't know that its fair to say the AFR's are a 'bolt-on' head. No question they literally bolt on as you get them, and they'll make decent power, but (and this goes for almost all heads) they will make more power when milled to achieve the proper SCR and DCR for the cam you are going to run.

Please don't take this as a for AFR, as these are the heads I want when the time comes. Count me as a until I'm convinced that TFS is a better value.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

LG runs the AFR's with almost all their cam packages with great success. Although you may see small differences in peak numbers with different heads, AFR's have proven time and time again to provide great gains throughout the curve. I chose AFR's and haven't been dissappointed. I'm running a 228/232 cam and made 451/421 to the rear.

Hammer, when 30th says AFR's are bolt on heads I am sure he means that you don't need to change out other parts to make them work. ETP's and TFS's need aftermarket rocker arms. That is a bit of a turn off to me but the TFS's are showing some very promising results that may be worth a try in the future.

I hope that helped you a bit Exit. I would go with AFR's or TFS if I were doing it again.

J.R.