General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What's wrong with my front suspension???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's wrong with my front suspension???

I posted this in the suspension section but haven't got any help yet. Maybe someone here can help. This is my problem:

So I installed DMS Springs and Bilstein Re-valves about a month ago. The car sat parked since yesterday. I was finally able to take it out for a spin. On my way to the store, everything felt good, really smooth. On my way back, I went over a few small cracks on the road and my front suspension made a big rattle/clunk kind of sound. Now everytime I go over bumps, the whole suspension rattles like if something is loose or like if the shocks aren't working. When the front wheels come back down after a speed bump, it feels like if the suspension was loose. The car also feels loose when driving. With any litle bump it will jerk to the sides. I lifted the car up on jacks, I checked all bolts and they are all tight. I went back to the Ls1howto.com document, and I did everything exactly. The only thing that I can think of I that I didn't have the rubber bumpstop that goes over the metal cap. Could this be the problem? Sorry this is so long, but I just want to describe my problem the best I can. Please help me guys. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Im not quite sure what is up with all the rattleing and clunking but the car jerking when going over bumps, I believe that is bump steer. Maybe someone will correct me if im wrong. Im not quite sure how you correct it on these cars. Good luck
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Teching In

just and idea.... but ball joints are lubed up and the bushings in the A-arms are still good? i kno my DS A-arm bushing somehow worn out and it clanked pretty good. Like i said just check bushings and ball joints, start with the easy stuff first.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I am going to check as much as I can right now. Will not having the rubber bumpstop make any difference?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Everything seems good to me. Nothing loose or leaking. Any other ideas??
Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

100% sure this is your problem and sorry to say but you're gonna have to take off the spring/shock assembly and tighten the top nut a little more.

1st time I did it I used my torque wrench and a short socket and fell a little short of the recommended torque specs. Put the car together and got the same noise you are describing.

Searching around I was told to tighten the bolts by the engine or the top nut on the shock. Did the top of the engine and nothing, took the car apart again, bought a deep socket, tightened to recommended specs and I have been all good since then