Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used the Lokar shifter setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used the Lokar shifter setup?

6.0/4L80 are in my 72' Bu and I am working on the harness, cooling system, etc. While under the car over the weekend I was looking at the column shifter linkage and I am going to have some problems. With as far back as the trans is none of the factory stuff will reach. I was wondering if anyone has used the Lokar type shifter with the cable and the bracket the mounts to the outside of the column and how it worked out? Right now this appears to be the easiest way out of this problem but I would like to get some input on the setup before I spend the $$$.
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Default I just finished doing this 2 days ago!

I just got finished installing the seup on my 65 impala conversion. It is a PIA for sure unless all your stuff just lines up, then it will just be a headache. I needed to remake the bracket for the cable to mount to my trans because of header clearance. Also could not use the beautiful aluminum bracket to mount the cable to the column since the column shift lever on the impala is down in the engine bay, and I did not have enough column to bolt the bracket too.
I suggest you look at the installed pictures online, and then look at your car to see if you will have room. If you do definately go for it. I did not see a lot of other options out there, and the price is really pretty reasonable for something critical like this. Plus if you ever wear out the cable portion you can get a new one from lokar for something like 50 bucks...

Last edited by 502imp; 03-06-2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Launching!

502Imp,

Thanks for the info! Saw the setup in the lokar catlaog and thought it might be an option. I have used a couple of Lokar items in the past with good luck but every application is different. I am using Fbody manifolds on the 6.0 so I shouldnt have any header/exhuast issues. I may order one up and make sure the bracket will work on my column first. If it does I'll install it.

Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Called Lokar today and the guy I talked to suggested I call Ididit, (steering columns), since they made a kit that "should" work. The Lokar kit is designed more for a street rod application with an aftermarket column. The Ididit kit is designed to be used with the factory GM column. The only issue is that the trans bracket is designed to be used with a 350/700/4L60. A bracket should be easy to come up with or I may be able to modify the bracket included with the kit. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Quick Reply: Anyone used the Lokar shifter setup?