Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans quit lockin up, need help diagnosing it

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans quit lockin up, need help diagnosing it

My trans quit lockin up. was goin down the road at around 50 locked and went WOT to pass somebody. just didn't lock back again. the trans was rebuilt about 2k ago, fancy crap, just know for sure its vacuum modulated, dunno all the rest of the stuff. friend sold it with 300 miles after the rebuild to switch to manual. put in with a brand new Vig 3200. about 500 miles ago a vacuum line came off inside the trans and the engine sucked up some trans fluid. never ran dangerously low, kept up with checking it(thought my trans cooler was leaking). My thoughts on the possible problem are
1. computer issue that isn't commanding lock(doubtful)
2. TCC solenoid burnt(maybe too much line pressure at WOT maybe, or damaged when vac line issue?)
3. some other internal trans issue
4. stall went bad already, think its still under warrantee but not sure(how much is it to ship a stall?)

yalls thoughts? goin to try to command it to lock with HPT tomorrow. if thats not it im givin the builder a call and try to bring it to him. just want some initial thoughts
Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
My trans quit lockin up. was goin down the road at around 50 locked and went WOT to pass somebody. just didn't lock back again. the trans was rebuilt about 2k ago, fancy crap, just know for sure its vacuum modulated, dunno all the rest of the stuff. friend sold it with 300 miles after the rebuild to switch to manual. put in with a brand new Vig 3200. about 500 miles ago a vacuum line came off inside the trans and the engine sucked up some trans fluid. never ran dangerously low, kept up with checking it(thought my trans cooler was leaking). My thoughts on the possible problem are
1. computer issue that isn't commanding lock(doubtful)
2. TCC solenoid burnt(maybe too much line pressure at WOT maybe, or damaged when vac line issue?)
3. some other internal trans issue
4. stall went bad already, think its still under warrantee but not sure(how much is it to ship a stall?)

yalls thoughts? goin to try to command it to lock with HPT tomorrow. if thats not it im givin the builder a call and try to bring it to him. just want some initial thoughts
What kind of transmission is this?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

$l60e
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well I can tell you this if it comands lockup in fourth gear and lockup does not happen it will set a code 1870 . Im betting its not comanding lockup , engine missfire may cause this and may not set a code

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

the reason i don't suspect misfire is that its not a intermintent not lockin up thing. it just flat out quit lockin up. i am goin to go drive it up to temp on thurs to check for codes and try to tell it to lockup.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Also if the pcm thinks its allways cold that could cause it ,
But telling it to lockup may work yet you still have the problem since it may overide the pcm , A better way if your scanner can do it is see if the pcm enables lockup by watching the data stream .If its not and there are no codes then look at trans temp and engine temp

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

will do.

if it does lockup by command, that will at least rule out the stall and TCC as the culprit right?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

FedEx $30 - I shipped one up North
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yes that would eliminate any mechanical issue with the trans or converter

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-08-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

went for a short drive, enough to get engine and trans up to good temp. commanded lockup, and did nothing. did notice when i uncommanded lockup that the engine went up aroud 100rpm for a sec, but also did it when i uncommanded not locked so i think its just an affect of the commands. i am throwing:

PCM] P0740 - TCC Enable Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Old) (Current) (Immature)
[PCM] P0748 - Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending) (History) (Current) (Immature)
[PCM] P1637 - Generator L-Terminal Circuit (History) (Immature)

the pressure control soleniod im guessin is gettin thrown cause of the vacuum modulation, but dunno about the 0740 code. have no clue what the generator l-terminal circuit is(maybe alternator?)

what would u try next?

(and i know where im goin next time i need a tranny, if i ever go auto again)
Old 03-08-2007, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
went for a short drive, enough to get engine and trans up to good temp. commanded lockup, and did nothing. did notice when i uncommanded lockup that the engine went up aroud 100rpm for a sec, but also did it when i uncommanded not locked so i think its just an affect of the commands. i am throwing:

PCM] P0740 - TCC Enable Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Old) (Current) (Immature)
[PCM] P0748 - Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Electrical (Pending) (History) (Current) (Immature)
[PCM] P1637 - Generator L-Terminal Circuit (History) (Immature)

the pressure control soleniod im guessin is gettin thrown cause of the vacuum modulation, but dunno about the 0740 code. have no clue what the generator l-terminal circuit is(maybe alternator?)

what would u try next?

(and i know where im goin next time i need a tranny, if i ever go auto again)
If the vac mod was done right there should be no code=PO748

tcc enable circuit is open or shorted wiring or tcc solenoid bad= PO740

PO1637= Has to do with the alternator not putting out enough voltagebellow is a more indepth description of that code.

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The L-terminal circuit from the generator is a discrete circuit (a discrete circuit has no splices and only one source and one destination) into the PCM. The PCM applies ignition voltage to the generator L terminal circuit. A small amount of current flows from this circuit through the generator windings to create a magnetic field which starts the generator process. When the generator is at operating speed and producing voltage, a solid state switch for the L terminal circuit in the generator opens and the PCM detects that the initial startup current flow has stopped.

The PCM expects to detect low voltage on the L terminal circuit prior to the generator rotating at operating speed and conversely expects the circuit to be at ignition voltage potential when the generator is operational. When the PCM detects a fault (circuit shorted to ground, or circuit shorted to a voltage), this DTC will set.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
Engine operating.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The PCM detects an improper voltage on the generator L terminal circuit.

Hope this helps I would look at the po1637 first as low voltage can cause all sorts of other codes and faults.Also if you need wiring diagrams to test circuit let me know while i wont post them on here i will send to you in email.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 03-08-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

that code might explain my gauges actin wierd the other day. ill try to fool with that tomorrow. did a search on it real quick and a few ppl are sayin replace a plug on the alternator, so i guess ill try that first

then i guess from there its to the TCC solenoid.

i have the resistor in for the 0748, but that could of come loose when i had to fix the loose vacuum line. does that being set off really affect anything? if not, then i ain't worryin about it.