Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Floppy right rear/ how to check shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floppy right rear/ how to check shocks

I'm very pleased with the ride and handling of my car. The Koni's do a great job. However, the rear passenger side feels a little floppy.

I am not positive that it is shock related, the shocks are less than a year old. Could it be:

*Simply due to the design of the panhard bar?
*An excessively worn LCA rubber bushing? (They looked ok about 5,000 miles ago)
*That I just need to increase the setting on that shock a little (both rears are full soft)

But, if I take the shock off, is there a way I can check to see that it is working properly? To make sure I didn't get a dud?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Floppy can mean so many things. You have adjustable dampers, try increasing the rebound a bit and see if it cures things. You didn't get a dud, they are all checked when they are built/boxed. There is a chance you might have broken on, but I doubt it as that's really not common unless you don't have your bumpstops on...

And so many other things can effect things. If the PHB is not right, the rear axle isn't square, and that will change the way the car drives in left vs. right handers. Maybe you have a spring going south? You may indeed have a bad bushing. Really hard to say.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the "hose mod" in the rear, which i guess could push things over a little bit by way of stock phb. that may be it. I never liked panhard bars.

The springs are stockers with about 70,000 miles on them, seem to be good but I don't really know how they go bad, or how to tell when they do.

The feeling is that 3 of the wheels are nice and controlled, bumps are felt once and nicely dampened. whereas the rear passenger side feels like it did when i had shot shocks.

I'll try raising rebound a little and report back.

Thanks Sam
Old 03-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Does your right rear sit a little lower on the tire than the other? I'm having that prob right now and the only thing I have been able to come up with is that it's the sock.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

That's not the shock's fault.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That's not the shock's fault.
Whats not the shocks fault?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

the right rear sitting lower... the shocks dont support any weight, the springs do.

Also, almost everyone's f-body is higher on the drivers side supposedly to compensate for driver weight.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
the right rear sitting lower... the shocks dont support any weight, the springs do.

Also, almost everyone's f-body is higher on the drivers side supposedly to compensate for driver weight.
Really... I've never noticed it until i bent my wheel. It doesnt affect handling at all but doesnt seem right to me. It's only about 1/2" but annoys me.