Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Advanced Guru's Only Please Respond! Copied From Nitrous Section

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Guru's Only Please Respond! Copied From Nitrous Section

in the motor section i notice alot of talk that goes on about DCR ratios and how important it is to get to 8.5 to keep running pump gas. and everyone should select a cam and heads setup to get you to this mark. but what i dont see is anyone talking about how nitrous will affect this ratio. if im going to get a cam and head setup for nitrous, then what should i shot for in a DCR ratio? how much does a 100 shot affect that DCR ratio? what will a 200 shot do to it? how much will more or less valve overlap change this with lower or higher lobe seperation? if i have less lift with more duration, will my DCR rise less or more than it would if i had high lift and long durartion? alot of questions i know, but what bothers me is that i cant find where anyone has ask these questions. and lastly, piano, can you come up with a chart that you could input a nitrous shot and compute what the DCR would rise too?
GO TO WORK GUYS!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Teching In

DCR should not be the End-all number... infact.. it seems to be QUITE overrated on this forum.

DCR is a basic calculation that has NOTHING to do with rpm. The DCR is only calculated by intake valve closing and basic geometric calculations for piston location.

Your DCR vs SCR will tell you what type of engine you have... if your SCR is 15:1 and your DCR is 7:1, you will have a high rpm engine... likewise if you have a 8:1 SCR and a 7.9 DCR.. you will have a low rpm engine.

Your IVC is critical for rpm selection, espeially NA because your trying to capture all the momentum of the air charge, the higher the target rpm, usually you will want a later IVC.

If you put to much empahsis on the DCR number you will not get the big picture!!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XBR24
DCR should not be the End-all number... infact.. it seems to be QUITE overrated on this forum.

DCR is a basic calculation that has NOTHING to do with rpm. The DCR is only calculated by intake valve closing and basic geometric calculations for piston location.

Your DCR vs SCR will tell you what type of engine you have... if your SCR is 15:1 and your DCR is 7:1, you will have a high rpm engine... likewise if you have a 8:1 SCR and a 7.9 DCR.. you will have a low rpm engine.

Your IVC is critical for rpm selection, espeially NA because your trying to capture all the momentum of the air charge, the higher the target rpm, usually you will want a later IVC.

If you put to much empahsis on the DCR number you will not get the big picture!!
funny you should say all that, cause the comp cams gods just said the exact same thing. thanks for the input!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:45 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bshonda
the comp cams gods
Thats like saying "military intelligents"
oxymoron
Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Thats like saying "military intelligents"