Tools, metric or SAE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools, metric or SAE?

So....since i moved to Texas, i no longer have access to my dads huge array of tools.

sux...

Should i start building a Metric or an SAE set first?

what do you guys think?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Considering your car is mostly metric I would say go that direction, the sucky part is that if you start kind of low end like Craftsman then you will be forced to buy both any way.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Boobka
Considering your car is mostly metric I would say go that direction, the sucky part is that if you start kind of low end like Craftsman then you will be forced to buy both any way.
Craftsman is lowend? lol...

What's high end? and then, how come i wouldn't have to buy both with high end?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is craftsman lower? I have never had a prob and if something does go wrong there is always a sears around. pretty hard to find a snap on truck.

I had a bunch of tools that burnt in a fire I took them to sears and they replaced every single tool I had because they were craftsman
Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Start with metric, 8-15 mm will take almost the entire LS1 apart.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brad8266
Start with metric, 8-15 mm will take almost the entire LS1 apart.

thanks man,

that's what i was lookin for!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Craftsman non-professional is low end compared to Snap-On or MAC. And really anything below Craftsman is cheap chinese made crap that I wouldn't even consider a tool.

They are great tools, made in the USA! I am all for them.

And you wouldn't have to buy both with high-end because the sets are much more custom. Just go to sears and look at the craftsman professional series, there isn't a set with 200+ tools for $150 ... it is more like 20 tools for $100.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well my "cheap chinese" tools have taken just about every bolt off of my car and I only broke a 7 and 10mm 1/4 drive socket so far. Not so bad for some cheap chinese tools.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brad8266
Well my "cheap chinese" tools have taken just about every bolt off of my car and I only broke a 7 and 10mm 1/4 drive socket so far. Not so bad for some cheap chinese tools.

hm...asians....yum.....wait, tools not women, sorry.....

yeh i dont mind cheap tools unless it's a ratchet....must be a top grade ratchet!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Not only is Craftsman probley the BEST TOOL FOR YOUR BUCK....They also have "LIFETIME WARRANTY"...how the hell is that LOW end....I broke more **** from MAC then i care to talk about...only thing ive EVER broke Craftsman was a socket that i used on a impact and no it wasnt a impact socket

CRAFTSMAN FTMFW!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

i just went t hrough the same thing as you. i just (last week) bought the Craftsman 305 piece 'professional essentials' set for $100 off through the craftsman club. it has every size socket and wrench that you will ever see on your car. (BMR adjustable suspension parts need a 1-1/8" wrench, 18mm for LCA bolts, 24mm socket for crank pulley bolt).

join the craftsman club... you can save some big $$
Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Craftsman is not low end. About 95% of the tools I have are craftsman, they have a lifetime warranty, there is a sear's store EVERYWHERE, and they're always having sales on em' too. You'll hardly ever get close to their max strength.

You can usually find a good set that has a little of both, then get a set of SAE and metric wrenches and you're set.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

also just check out pawn shops, i know you were asking to get started, but i just buy any and all that i can get my hands on, it sux when you loose your good tool and are stranded with no tool to us, if you had the cheapy at least it'll buy you time till you have enough time to spin by and buy some more good stuff. that and cheap tools usually make great "speciality" tools.... like stubby wrenches and ****. dont wanna really buy a expensive one cuss you'll use it once in a while.... so grab a cheapy and hax tha handle down, saves you money since you'll probably only use it once in a blue moon. but check around pawn shops for sockets and ****, some places have Craftsman in a big box that they didnt even know they had!!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Boobka]Craftsman non-professional is low end compared to Snap-On or MAC. QUOTE]

These tools are made in the same foundry by the same manufacturer (Danaher) by the same processes using the same metals. The only difference is the name stamped in the tool and the finish applied.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=blaSSt]
Originally Posted by Boobka
Craftsman non-professional is low end compared to Snap-On or MAC. QUOTE]

These tools are made in the same foundry by the same manufacturer (Danaher) by the same processes using the same metals. The only difference is the name stamped in the tool and the finish applied.
while i'm not questioning that the metals are the same, i have heard that one of the reasons why the 'premium' brands are more expensive, is because they are built to tighter tolerances, thus having more exact measurements of the tools, and thus being less likely to have issues gripping nuts and bolts or whatnot.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Snap-On flank drive wrenches FTW!!! these save you a lot of busted knuckles and help with old rounded out bolts, for small tools such as 1/4 in i would buy craftsman, but for 3/8 get a good set of snap on polished deep and short sockets, polished wrenches, two set of gearwrench ratchet wrenches, and a 8, 10,13,15,18 in black wobble sockets
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

METRIC or buy a kit with both.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

I have also noticed that the Snap-on wrenches and Craftsman professional seem to be a bit slimmer. This may be bad for some things but sometime it gives you that extra 1-2mm you need to squeeze around a hard to get at bolt.

The sockets also seem to have a smaller wall thickness (agian bad if you are going to impact with it) but may help in some places.

I didn't know that all those tools were made at the same place, that is pretty cool.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Mustang Moderator

Most likely your best bet is to get a basic Mechanic's Tool Set from Sears. They range in size from 53 piece to 263 piece, all coming with their own box to store everything in. If you don't care for the box or already have your own, there are a couple larger sets as well.

You'll get a variety of sockets from 1/4"-1/2", some sets come with wrenches, allen wrenches, etc etc. It really depends how much you want to spend.

And the best part, like most have said, is since its Craftsman, everything in the box has a lifetime warranty. Might not seem like a big deal right now but in the future if you DO break something, take it to any Sears and they'll give you a new one, no questions asked.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only craftsmen things I've ever broken are ******* torx bits on my 3rdgen years ago