Sponsored by:

Yet Another "Help Me Pick A Cam Thread"

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another "Help Me Pick A Cam Thread"

Ok guys here is one for the experts.

Background: I am looking for a cam for an LQ4 to swap into an S10. I am still going to use just about stock everything. I may swap out the truck intake (for LS6) and TB, but other than that it will be a stock setup. This truck will be used mostly on the street (80%), but may be taken to the track on occasion (20%). This truck is not DD. I would like a slightly choppy idle, just enough chop before I have vacuum issues. I have budgeted tuning software in, so a cam that requires tuning is not out of the question.

For a street setup that will have some very good torque, with moderate HP at the top. Since this is more of a street car, I feel torque is more important than HP. Therefore, I think a max RPM range should stop around 6200, maybe 6500RPMS. I do not want a very high revving engine, and have to deal with the problems associated with that type of engine.

I have talked with my step-father who owned a machine shop and auto repair shop. He also raced alcohol and other various cars. He has plenty of experience, but is old and set in his ways. He refuses other cam companies, except Comp or Crane. He sites their experience and company age as reasons why.

Since I am young and open minded I am looking for opinions on which cam would perform well for my setup.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Anything guys?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comp Cams still has a lot of great lobes for the LSx engines. I'd look into an XE-R 226°/230° 110° +2° (108° ICL).
Old 03-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Comp Cams still has a lot of great lobes for the LSx engines. I'd look into an XE-R 226°/230° 110° +2° (108° ICL).
Thanks, I will be looking into it.

I have also been leaning towards TSP's Torquer 3. Anyone have any feedback on this cam?