Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

noisy rotors...

Old 03-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy rotors...

Over the past couple weeks, i've noticed friction noise in both my rear rotors. Now i pulled the wheels and checked and there is a little movement (like 1-2mm) between the pad and rotor when you turn it. It's flush and then will slightly gap very very little again like 1-2mm. barely enough to even see unless your looking directly at it and paying attention. Isnt this normal though ?
Rotors dont appear to have any dammage. Pads arnt that old but I'll probably change them anyway to see if this helps unless you guys think it might be something else.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't understand totally what you mean by what you mentioned, but it all appears to be normal sounding to me.

Rotors arent fastened to anything if your wheels are removed. Wheels are what hold them in place. Pads can slide inward and outward freely on the PAB depending on how far the caliper pistons are sitting.

Some brake pads are noiser than others when brakes are applied.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I don't understand totally what you mean by what you mentioned, but it all appears to be normal sounding to me.

Rotors arent fastened to anything if your wheels are removed. Wheels are what hold them in place. Pads can slide inward and outward freely on the PAB depending on how far the caliper pistons are sitting.

Some brake pads are noiser than others when brakes are applied.
My bad, Should have been more clear. Not noise in the rotors themselves, Just noise from the pads riding on the rotors when i'm driving. It's like the pads very slightly graze the rotors on each revolution causing a faint friction noise each time the wheel makes one complete turn. You can hear it from inside the car and even more when i removed the wheels and checked it out. Although it's barely noticeable. Maybe it's just the cheap *** brake pads i put on not to long ago and/or me being ****.
I'm just wondering why the fronts arent doing it too because they were put on at the same time and obviously those get a lot more use.

I'm thinking it's just me and I only recently noticed it because the car is so out of tune. I used to not be able to hear the radio over the exhaust but now can hear every little rattle or sqeek due to no exhaust tone anymore.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

If you haven't already, pull the caliper from its bracket. Take out the caliper sliding pins. Clean them all nice with a ton of brake cleaner. Inside the holes and everywhere. Coat the pins with some brake caliper grease.

Also replace the anti rattle clip and pad clips.

Sorry I wouldn't know exactly the cause of the problem, but I would do those since they should be routine maintenance anyway. That will at least filter out some of the possibilities. Ive heard the caliper guide pins on some cars can become seized. I also used some of the red gooey disc brake quiet stuff on the back of the pads. The pads actually sit pretty close to the rotor and that is normal.

Nice wheels by the way
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pads are suppose to drag, so you will hear it a little. The only time I think I have heard mine is when it rained and there is surface rust on the rotors. But I would not worry about the noise unless it is really bad. Like z28bryan said, clean up the guide pins. Take the pads off and use a wire brush on the pins. Then finish with the brake clean.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

what kind of sound, like a grinding or a whining???
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oops, I didn't mean use a wire brush on the "guide pins." Those are the greased "bolts" that slide with the caliper. I ment use a wire brush on the external metal tabs that the pads slide on. Just wanted to clear that up.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan
If you haven't already, pull the caliper from its bracket. Take out the caliper sliding pins. Clean them all nice with a ton of brake cleaner. Inside the holes and everywhere. Coat the pins with some brake caliper grease.

Also replace the anti rattle clip and pad clips.

Sorry I wouldn't know exactly the cause of the problem, but I would do those since they should be routine maintenance anyway. That will at least filter out some of the possibilities. Ive heard the caliper guide pins on some cars can become seized. I also used some of the red gooey disc brake quiet stuff on the back of the pads. The pads actually sit pretty close to the rotor and that is normal.

Nice wheels by the way
Thanks for the tip, And thanks!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99kamarokid
what kind of sound, like a grinding or a whining???
Neither, like scrapping. It's not metal digging into the rotors.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ralls
Oops, I didn't mean use a wire brush on the "guide pins." Those are the greased "bolts" that slide with the caliper. I ment use a wire brush on the external metal tabs that the pads slide on. Just wanted to clear that up.
Gotcha!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bump this old thread, but there's some usefull information that i needed here

Search this Thread