Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting is kind of rough when coming to a quick stop, what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting is kind of rough when coming to a quick stop, what could it be?

I've noticed more and more recently that when I come to a stop in my car from 3rd gear or higher, I can distinctly feel it when the car downshifts to 2nd and then to 1st right as the car is coming to a complete stop. It does not do this if I stop more gradually, but for most of my normal stopping and anytime I stop faster than usual I can feel it downshifting and I can hear a slight noise when it does this. I don't know how to describe the noise--it's not really a clunk or anything and it's not very loud but I can definitely hear it if my music is turned off.

My question is what could be causing this? Like I said, if I stop slower and more gradually than normal it doesn't do it at all. When I put the car in neutral and stop suddenly it doesn't do it at all either, so I know it's directly related to when the transmission decides to downshift. Could it be the transmission mount? I had the fluid flushed when I got the car and have since put less than 7,000 miles on it so I don't think it could be related to that.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would check the mount first

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Downshifting is kind of rough when coming to a quick stop, what could it be?