Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Special Thanks To TTPMatt For An Awesome GTO Dynotune--I Got 390 HP w/bolt-ons only!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Special Thanks To TTPMatt For An Awesome GTO Dynotune--I Got 390 HP w/bolt-ons only!

Previously, my 2006 6-speed GTO, with all of the modifications in my sig and a dynotune, dynoed (corrected) 391.7 rwhp with 411.1 ft-lbs of torque on a Dynocom (not DynoJet) dynamometer. To make the long story short, I wanted to see how my car would do on a DynoJet so I went to TTP for some dyno-runs and was disappointed to see that the best corrected DynoJet number was 35 horsepower less than the Dynocom corrected number. And the uncorrected DynoJet number was around 18 horsepower less than the corrected Dynocom horsepower number.

I immediately scheduled a dynotune with Matt at TTP and here were the results:

SAE CORRECTED: Max Power = 372.83 HP; Max Torque = 378.9; 12:8 a/f
UNCORRECTED: Max Power = 390.35 HP; Max Torque = 396.38; 12:8 a/f

I was impressed with how Matt was able to squeeze out more power from the LS2 even after it had already been professionally dynotuned. He keeps his DynoJet well maintained and he had the proper tuning tools at his disposal. He also has a lot of experience in tuning LS2 GTO's in the past.

All was not a perfect day, however, as a couple of car problems came up. First, Jon noticed a small oil leak coming from the oil pan guard and he immediately solved this problem by pushing the oil dipstick all the way in. He later crimped the dipstick so the problem wouldn't come up again. He even took off the skidplate and cleaned off the small amount of oil that had pooled up on it.

Second, there was 2-3* of false knock. Jon and Nick believe that the false knock is attributable to the Kooks longtube headers touching the steering rack. I've set up an appointment with TTP for next Friday for the following work:

- Jon will properly remove and reinstall the steering rack;
- the car will get a front-end alignment; and
- Matt will re-tune the car without the false knock present. (Hopefully, the steering rack fix will eliminate the false knock.)

Thank you, Matt and the rest of TT Performance, for a job well done and the excellent customer service.

Last edited by damon_Z; 03-09-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

those guys are very detail oriented.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Just for further clarification, TTP did not install the headers. Another shop had installed the headers, but the problem of the steering rack touching the headers probably resulted from an independent alignment shop trying to re-center my steering wheel. I'll try to get a second opinion and maybe even a fix for the steering rack problem before my scheduled dynotune at TTP on 3/16/07.

Last edited by damon_Z; 03-09-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

get that car to the track and run some numbers............

dyno numbers are for girls man........... lol...j/k
Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Durien

Yup, I'll agree with you, but this car is only a daily driven dyno queen. I know for a fact that I can't run the quarter with the 6-speed manual and that's why I have an LS1 Z28 with the automatic.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Durien

I'm sticking to dyno #'s. Everytime i go to the track i'm there for 8hrs and get only 3 runs in thats lol Thats why im stuck at 13.1

Last edited by CJDZ24_Z28; 03-09-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Nice #'s....but I'd stick to the SAE corrected #'s. That's what we all use.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSINISTR SS
Nice #'s....but I'd stick to the SAE corrected #'s. That's what we all use.
Yeah, I know, but that won't make a difference during the summer when SAE will come within 99% (or even 100%) of the uncorrected numbers. So, I can just wait until the summer, get my dyno runs, and fairly say that I have 390 rwhp SAE corrected. That's all.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Yeah, I know, but that won't make a difference during the summer when SAE will come within 99% (or even 100%) of the uncorrected numbers. So, I can just wait until the summer, get my dyno runs, and fairly say that I have 390 rwhp SAE corrected. That's all.

Not quite gonna work that way bro....

Last edited by SSINISTR SS; 03-09-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

370...very nice numbers.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSINISTR SS
Not quite gonna work that way bro....more like they both will be around 372ish...
Not according to Matt Sorian, the man who has a GM High Tech Performance article devoted to his tuning abilities.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Not according to Matt Sorian, the man who has a GM High Tech Performance article devoted to his tuning abilities.
So that means my uncorrected 399 RWHP will be 399 SAE RWHP in June....nope....it doesn't quite work that way. I've had cars dynoed in all sorts of weather conditions. While it may swing a little either way, no way is it that much bro.

When I had the car dynoed before the cam last August it was a 8 RWHP difference, that's all.

The idea of SAE correction factors is to make it the same in all conditions.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I was just doing a search on that. Makes sense. If SAE's purpose is to normalize dyno numbers for an ideal weather condition, SAE should be lower than uncorrected in the winter, but higher than uncorrected in the summer. I could have sworn Matt said something like, uncorrected won't change much in the summer, but SAE will come closer to it. I wish he can chime in here to clarify what he said.

Now, my desire to get that ported FAST is that much greater...

Quick Reply: Special Thanks To TTPMatt For An Awesome GTO Dynotune--I Got 390 HP w/bolt-ons only!