Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How important is the rubber part that goes between the body and shock assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How important is the rubber part that goes between the body and shock assembly?

Well I found one of the rubber pieces that goes between the shock assembly and body where the towers bolt to inside the engine bay on the ground after my spring install last weekend. How important is this part?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

All I'll say is that nobody is going to spend money on parts that don't matter... even, acutally ESPECIALLY GM.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
All I'll say is that nobody is going to spend money on parts that don't matter... even, acutally ESPECIALLY GM.
Whats the purpose of it though?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably acts as a bushing reducing vibration and eliminating extra play. May also increase the strength of the mount.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Well I found one of the rubber pieces that goes between the shock assembly and body where the towers bolt to inside the engine bay on the ground after my spring install last weekend. How important is this part?

Is this the piece that goes between the upper control arm and strut tower or the spring perch and upper control arm? If it's the piece with the metal washer like thing built into it that sits between the spring perch and upper conrol arm then you better pull that bastard back apart and put it on. It sits over the stud on the shock and the nut holds it onto the spring perch, if it's not installed one big bump will rip the metal sleeve out of the spring perch and you'll have major issues. The other rubber piece is more of an isolator pad to act as a buffer between the upper control arm and body of the car. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. Hope that helps!
Old 03-10-2007, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
Is this the piece that goes between the upper control arm and strut tower or the spring perch and upper control arm? If it's the piece with the metal washer like thing built into it that sits between the spring perch and upper conrol arm then you better pull that bastard back apart and put it on. It sits over the stud on the shock and the nut holds it onto the spring perch, if it's not installed one big bump will rip the metal sleeve out of the spring perch and you'll have major issues. The other rubber piece is more of an isolator pad to act as a buffer between the upper control arm and body of the car. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. Hope that helps!
It's the piece that goes between the upper control arm and body. With the koni's you ditch that rubber peice with the washer in it and use the supplied washer and nut from koni, atleast I think thats the correct way to install them since the koni directions are worthless.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Do you meant this piece that sits inside the mount?

If so, yes, you need that.

The washer goes on top of the shock before you put the spring perch back on. Should look like this...

Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

My friend Bubba says yer always supposed to have a part or two left over, don' t worry about it.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weight reduction

Really though, it goes together like SGMZ28 showed. I didn't think the Koni directions were that bad. They got me through it
Old 03-11-2007, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Weight reduction

Really though, it goes together like SGMZ28 showed. I didn't think the Koni directions were that bad. They got me through it
I already threw out the stock pieces that you bolt the shock through. Guess I gotta order new ones from GM and pull my front end apart again.

Quick Reply: How important is the rubber part that goes between the body and shock assembly?