Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light

I have recently done a Heads cam and exhaust on my Z. I am getting a check engine light, It comes on when inching along in traffic. I went with the cat delete X pipe and disconnected the rear O2's. I was told today that I should take the front O2 sensors out and replace them with the rear O2s and this will take care of the problem. Any one else had this problem and used this as a fix????
Your input appreciated.
Don
Old 03-09-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Impossible to say without knowing the code.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I wouldnt do that, most cars have different o2's in the front and rear. Also, the fronts are needed, they help your car run better (they monitor the exhaust for rich or lean mixtures and help make changes to keep the proper air/fuel ratio). Since you have headers your going to need a tune since it'll run too rich for the o2's to compensate, and eventually their wear out from this.

The rear o2's are for post cat, so they pretty much are their to verify that the cat is working and is cleaning up the exhaust. So yours are disconnected, the check engine is there because your rear o2 is pretty much saying that the cat inopt.

Also, lights probly comming on in traffic cause your in closed loop and your using the o2's (verses open where car bypasses o2's).
Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Had the car tuned at Futral motor sports last week. light came on on the way home. Had to do some re-routing of wires to clear headers and when I re-connected battery, the check engine light was gone. Just came on again yesterday, I am going to pull codes in the morning. May have to carry it back to Allan and find out what the deal is because it is running seriously shitty when the light comes on and it smells seriously rich!
DD