Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA's.. Adjusting Problem.. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 04:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni SA's.. Adjusting Problem.. Suggestions?

Hi,

Please help!!!

I have just replaced my stock ss springs with Srano's springs. I would now like to adjust the settings of my Koni shocks.
The front passenger side is easily adjusted, but the drivers side simply will not adjsut.... most likely due to rust .

Any idea's as to what I need to do, in order to make the driver side adjustable again? Has anyone else had similiar issues?

2 of the attached pictures show the rusted (drivers side) shock and the other 2 show the non rusted (passenger side)...

Please help
Attached Thumbnails Koni SA's.. Adjusting Problem.. Suggestions?-dsc00957.jpg   Koni SA's.. Adjusting Problem.. Suggestions?-dsc00960.jpg   Koni SA's.. Adjusting Problem.. Suggestions?-dsc00962.jpg   Koni SA's.. Adjusting Problem.. Suggestions?-dsc00963.jpg  
Old 03-10-2007, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would assume you will end up taking out the driver side to be able to work on that shock. I'm surprised you didn't see it during install. If penetrating grease won't help, you may have to opt to get it warrantied or replaced.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

What are you using to try to adjust them?

-Mike
Old 03-10-2007, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Hi,

Actually, I personally did not install the new springs... I am working abroad (Italy) and live in England, therefore do not have access to my garage equipment, so I took the car to a GM dealer about an hour or so from work. I checked and double checked at their shop to ensure the adjustment window was in the correct alignment, but didn't try to adjust the shocks until I got back to the place I'm staying at.

I'm just using a long handled 2.5mm allen key. It doesn't have the strength to really pull on it with lots of weight. I've just bought a T handled allen key, so will try that... plus managed to find some WD-40 here in Milan, so will see if that helps to loosen it.

Thanks,
UKCamaroSS
Old 03-10-2007, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

Good luck, I wish i could help. Let us know how you progress.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

It could just be a leverage problem. If you're not already, use the shorter end of the allen key. Wrap your fingers around the long handle, then put your thumb over the bend in the key. Push down with your thumb (toward the shock) then pull up with your fingers on the handle and slide to the left or right.

My 2.5mm allen key is bent from where I tried to use the long end. There's just not enough leverage there.

Maybe this helps?

The one on the left has never worked for me. The one on the right always has.

-Mike
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Where is the thick washer thats supposed to be between the rubber mount and the shock?
They aren't assembled right thats for sure.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Where is the thick washer thats supposed to be between the rubber mount and the shock?
i saw the same thing but i wouldn't think that it would mess with the adjustability
Old 03-11-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Weezer is right. They didn't put the shocks together properly. These shocks looks like they've been sitting at the bottom of the ocean. Curious as to why anyone would bring parts to a dealer to install. Any competent shop can do this, even overseas. Looks like you should have cleaned these things up before getting them installed.

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Old 03-11-2007, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Weezer is right. They didn't put the shocks together properly. These shocks looks like they've been sitting at the bottom of the ocean. Curious as to why anyone would bring parts to a dealer to install. Any competent shop can do this, even overseas. Looks like you should have cleaned these things up before getting them installed.
I got the shocks in Sept 2005 and they have been on the car since that time, with my stock SS springs. The GM shop was to simply swap the stock springs with strano's.... I've not adjusted the shocks since they were originally put on back in 2005, as I adjusted them to where I needed within the first week....

I went to a GM dealer here in Italy, as I don't speak Italian... and they do speak english at the GM dealer... also I figured it would be safer to get someone familiar with the car to work on it... when I lived in the UK, most local component shops wouldn't touch my Camaro. Their reasoning was... "if we break a part, there is no way we can get spares"... luckily in the UK I lived near a US airforce base, so I was able to get the work done there.

Well anyways, I suppose I will need to but another Koni shock now At $250, plus $100 shipping, plus $100 import tax, plus $65 per hour labour charge.... damn this sucks
Old 03-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Launching!

kind of off topic... but how do you like sam's springs verses the original SS springs... I'm assuming the SS were the 1le springs (360 front)
Old 03-13-2007, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98ws61le
kind of off topic... but how do you like sam's springs verses the original SS springs... I'm assuming the SS were the 1le springs (360 front)
Sam's springs are amazing!!!

I already have quite a few suspension upgrades (see sig), but even so, the car feels so much better... to me anyways. For what it is worth, I highly recommend them....
Old 03-13-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

The Koni's have a lifetime warranty on them. I would call up Koni and ask them about it and make sure rust is covered. At the very least you can order a new shock first and swap them. Then send back the old shock for warranty. There is a distributor there in Italy. Go here and find a good location:

http://www.koni.com/

That should save you a lot of money.

Oh yes, WD40 is a penetrant and not really an lubricant. I would also try using some lubricating oil and let it soak in.

What the big washer, that is missing on your setup, does is distribute the load of the shock to the vehicle chassis. The rubber part facing down with the 4 tabs on it is actually steel inside and is designed to hold the top of the shock rod solidly.

Here's what it looks like:

The blue section is a steel cylinder and the green area is rubber. The area outside of the green is steel with a rubber coating. Without the washer, the shock is moving the blue area (that it's bolted to) up and down with every bump. Eventually this green rubber area will break and the shock will no longer work. The shock would probably be ruined as well. Even right now your not getting the control from the shock that you should be. I would fix both sides as soon as possible.

BTW, the reason it is designed like this is because the shock rod has to tilt a little bit as the suspension moves up and down, but at the same time it can't move. Only tilt. A better solution would be a rod end, but then it would transfer a lot of harshness so the factory tried to make a good compromise.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-13-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW

What the big washer, that is missing on your setup, does is distribute the load of the shock to the vehicle chassis. The rubber part facing down with the 4 tabs on it is actually steel inside and is designed to hold the top of the shock rod solidly.

The blue section is a steel cylinder and the green area is rubber. The area outside of the green is steel with a rubber coating. Without the washer, the shock is moving the blue area (that it's bolted to) up and down with every bump. Eventually this green rubber area will break and the shock will no longer work. The shock would probably be ruined as well. Even right now your not getting the control from the shock that you should be. I would fix both sides as soon as possible.

BTW, the reason it is designed like this is because the shock rod has to tilt a little bit as the suspension moves up and down, but at the same time it can't move. Only tilt. A better solution would be a rod end, but then it would transfer a lot of harshness so the factory tried to make a good compromise.
Hi,

Thank you very, very much for this.... I will have a look for the Italian distributor. This info has helped alot.
1 question about what you said:
What is the name given to the rubber part with the 4 tabs on it, shown in your pictures? I would like to go ahead and get some replacements of these, just to be safe!!

Thanks again,
UKCamaroSS
Old 03-13-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think their called the "upper spring perch" or maybe the "upper shock mount". Either term should work. Or just print out the picture I posted and email it to the place or take it with you when you go to get the part.

There is also another smaller part that fits into the top of the perch. It keeps the shock rod from pulling down and is rubber coated steel. The flat washer your missing is what keeps the shock rod from pushing up. Yeah, that's it. It's been a while since I messed with these parts.

Quick Reply: Koni SA's.. Adjusting Problem.. Suggestions?