General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help, lost all power, no lights, won't start, nothing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, lost all power, no lights, won't start, nothing

Here's what happened. Last night I was attempting to clean out the engine bay to make it show ready for the spring. I moved the ground battery cable from the passenger side strut tower to the radiator support. I turned on the lights to check my ground and everything came on and worked great. Well this morning as I was getting ready to leave for work I got in the car, the interior lights came on, put the key in the ignition and turned it to run when I heard a POP and everything went dead. I checked the battery, 12.65 volts, checked all the fuses and relays but couldn't find anything. My question is, could not having a good ground fry the starter solenoid causing my car to loose all power? Or did I do the ultimate dumbass mistake and fry the computer? I've never seen one do this just over not having a good ground, it's got me stumped. Any thoughts on what I could look for would be greatly helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pop like that is usually a bad connection that causes a lot of heat or a short. Since it worked before I am betting on a bad connection. Check the battery terminals, your revised ground etc.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was the ground wire, I pulled and tugged on it for a minute then checked for 12 volts with a multimeter. It was hot, the ground wasn't getting a good connection inside the wire, evidently the wire is broke inside. I replaced it with a new ground and the car started right up. Easy fix, thanks.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

i had the exact same problem with mine, just a pop and it scared the crap out of me, didnt make sense cause when i was fooling around under the hood, a tug of the battery and the door chime kicked back in...loose ground
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
It was the ground wire, I pulled and tugged on it for a minute then checked for 12 volts with a multimeter. It was hot, the ground wasn't getting a good connection inside the wire, evidently the wire is broke inside. I replaced it with a new ground and the car started right up. Easy fix, thanks.
Excellent, thanks for getting back to us with the conclusion.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
That was fast...

Recently I bought this Mercedes heater core for my dad's. It was a replacement for its old, damaged one. I panicced when I saw the coolant leaking, i thought it was something very serious. My dad says the heater core needs just needs replacement. Whew!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a good feeling when it's something simple isn't it, I know I was relieved.