Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust volume Cam vs. stock internals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust volume Cam vs. stock internals?

I'm thinking about changing from my ORY/Hooker to Duals w/ Borla XR-1s because I want to make it a bit louder(along with better flowing and no rasp). One thing I'm worried about with doing that is that it will be too loud once I get around to doing a cam swap. How much louder do things usually get after a new cam? I like it being fairly quiet at idle/cruising but then loud when I want it to be. Would the cam mess that up and make it too loud idling and cruising? If it would I would like to keep the ORY/Hooker since it will get louder when I put the cam in. But then I would worry about flow. How much worse is a Y than duals actually? I would only be getting 2.5" duals if I got them.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my cars always seem to get noticable louder with a bigger cam, but its not objectionable, and this seems to only be at idle, maybe its louder at ful throttle, but I can't really tell. I know going to headers with no cats made it slightly louder, but the cams are louder than that mode. The duals will be louder with those mufflers for sure without the cam. The only thing that might be bothersome is you might get some drone, I got some pretty bad drone with my duals, and I did many things to get rid of that, including changing mufflers over and over until I was happy, the duals would just bounce sound off the bottom of the car and wasn't fun for a daily driver that sees many miles. I found I kept moving to a quieter muffler because I was driving 50 miles each way, and at that point, hearing my stereo loud and clear was more important, the louder mufflers took away from my sub as well, and that was disappointing. It sounds like you should just get a cutout, that way you have the best of both worlds. You can keep the car real quiet and keep the lope under control when you get a cam, then just open up the cutout to let people know what you really have.