Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dammit, Did I hurt my motor???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dammit, Did I hurt my motor???

Well, I found out today exactly what a map sensor does. I was playing around with the timing settings on the MSD-6010 with my laptop and here's what happended...

Here's the scenerio before my discovery :

I have been full throttle several times on the street, ran at the track about 6 times and had 3 dyno pulls with the same timing table. It seemed to run find and it was hard to tell if it was detonating due to mainly I thought I had the timing correct at a max of 36 deg.

Here's the deal, I was monitoring the live data on my timing tonight while it was running and couldn't figure out that when I would slowly rev to about 2k, then to 3k, then to 4k I was pulling about 44-46 deg of timing.

Well, I had the timing curve set to about 20 deg @ 2000rpm and slowly advancing to about 36 deg by 6500rpm. What I did not know, is I had the map sensor set at 2 bar, but did not relize that it was set to add 6-7 deg of additional timing by certain vacuum/psi. I took it out on the street with the laptop hooked up and nailed it in 3rd about 50mph and sure enough it jumped up to about 44-46 deg of total timing!! I then turned the map sensor function OFF and just ran a mechanical advance that I mapped out.

The coupe still seems to run ok, and pulls really hard now. I can't notice any damage, but what might I have caused and how much power did I lose? Is there a certain test I can perform on my motor to make sure? Is this the reason I put down some low dyno #'s? Thanks guys!