Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another ls6 intake thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another ls6 intake thread

Yesterday I started my intake swap, and even being soooo careful I still managed to break the oil sending unit . Other than getting a replacement part at the local parts store, is there anything else I need to do? Also, how do you get it out...is there a special socket that you use on it? It looks like a huge size.

TIA
Old 03-11-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RYNO_Z
Yesterday I started my intake swap, and even being soooo careful I still managed to break the oil sending unit . Other than getting a replacement part at the local parts store, is there anything else I need to do? Also, how do you get it out...is there a special socket that you use on it? It looks like a huge size.

TIA
I bought a special socket for the sender at advanced auto. It is HUGE, do a search you should be able to find it.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

i couldnt find the sending unit at any parts store, I had to go to the dealer. $44 there and yes you need a special socket, about $12 at the parts store 1 1/16 deep. i just did mine yesterday and i cant wait to see the results.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

I dropped by the auto parts store last night on the way home and ordered the part. Not going to be here until Wednesday !! I want to finish this thing!

Thanks for the socket size turbo. Hope everything goes smooth buttoning it back up!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

post up the gains you feel
Old 03-12-2007, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

lol welcome to the club i did the same thing. me and my buddy were doing it, i was like i read on ls1tech about everyone breaking a black thing. thought we were good, then i saw teh little black thing lol. I was like damn it im a statistic! its not that bad though just sucks on the wasted money.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

I picked up the part yesterday after work and found the socket as well! I got off work this evening and after a long shitty day I decided to give myself some therapy by working on the car. Worked like a charm. Working slowly and methodically I got everything back together pretty easily...I was pleasantly surprised...it seemed much easier than taking everything off! And now I know how to maneuver the intake without breaking the sending unit. (I had to take it off a couple times to re-shave the fins on the bottom to get it to sit down right ) I was a bit nervous at the "moment of truth" just before I started her, but she cranked right up with no clanks, rattles, or lights on the dash! I was pumped, so after I let her warm up I went for a cruise. It feels a bit stronger on the top end. I am a little worried though, cause with it being an auto, it doesn't want to shift until around 6k. Should I be worried about this? I know the stock tachs aren't the greatest, but it just gave me a bit of concern. Let me know what yall think.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I broke mine too this past weekend! @#%@ My replacement got here yesterday, so I'll probably put it on this Saturday. I hope that I don't break it again.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RYNO_Z
And now I know how to maneuver the intake without breaking the sending unit.
i'm doing the intake swap soon. how do you recomend taking the old one out so i dont break the stupid pain in the *** oil sending unit?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
i'm doing the intake swap soon. how do you recomend taking the old one out so i dont break the stupid pain in the *** oil sending unit?
I usually get everything disconnected (pull the brake booster hose out completely), then lift up and move it towards the passenger side of the car.

Patience and paying attention to what you're doing is about all it takes.

I've come close to screwing up though! Haha...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, the brake booster line seems to be the biggest thing to worry about. I lifted the intake up towards the back and rotated the back end towards the passenger side of the car. This takes the sending unit completely out of play. I think the problem I ran into when I took the intake off the first time was not being able to get the brake booster line off so I disconnected it at the master cylinder. This is I'm sure what caught the top of the sending unit and broke it off. Just be patient with it and give yourself plenty of clearance when pulling it out. There is a lot more room than there looks and the sending unit really doesn't stick up that high with all the hoses unhooked.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

I did the LS6 intake swap yesterday, didnt break the oil sending unit, but my buddy broke the PCV line.