General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000ss Window Motor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000ss Window Motor problem?

Hey I'm very new to LS1 and I have had mine for about 3 weeks and it has run great but when I bought it the driver and passenger side window roll down very slowly and come up even slower. Eventually they stop going up and it takes it a couple seconds before it will go back up. I took it to a mechanic just to make sure it was the window motor, and not some electrical problem. He stated it was the motor, but quoted 330$ per window. So I ordered the motor myself and I was looking for a good install guide in an attempt to do it myself. I didn't see any thread so I was wondering If anyone has any input as to a good walkthrough or fix? This newbie would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=18
Old 03-11-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a great write-up on it:

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Good luck and just take your time. You save a shitton of money doing it yourself. I did it a few years ago on my Z34 and it cut my hands up pretty bad but only cost me like $60.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Launching!

happens too frequent with these cars
Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks a bunch guys I really appreciate the feedback. The motors come in tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe I'm just too freakin cheap, but I just fixed my passenger side motor this past weekend- for free.

Pull the old motor out using the guide form Shoebox (linked above) and remove the thermal cut-out (bypass it).

I can take no credit for being smart enough to find the thermal circuit, I just found the discussions here:
Bypass instructions #1
Bypass instructions #2

Not really hard, just be sure you have a soldering iron and some self-tapping screws, nuts and bolts or maybe even a pop-rivet gun for putting everything back together.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know where you bought your motors from but I suggest just getting them at autozone. The motors I've got from them are just as good as the stockers and are free replacements for life.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I got to install the window motors this weekend and thanks to all your help it was a breeze, and now they work perfectly thankyou again everyone for the advice and info it is very much appreciated.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Hey Legendary I have the same prob on the same car! I just got quoted about 20 mins ago at $345. Did you end up getting the autozone ones? how long did it take you and how much was the part?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Sounds like your motors are dead or dying a slow death. Keep us in mind while installing your new motors to help prolong your motors life.

As far as the thermal by-pass; I feel as if the thermal proxy switch is there for a reason, a safety precaution, so you wont cut someones fingers off by accident!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Try gmpartsdirect.com on that window motor, it was $90 to my door, and to take a shot at Autozone, their motors are all rebuilt units, I worked there, I know. That factory piece may not have a lifetime warranty, but it is brand new, and it will last longer. There is a reason they give lifetime warranties on certain parts, is because they are a pos, as far as I am concerned, that warranty means nothing if i have to pull it out and replace it twice a year. The R&R on the motor it twice the cost of a factory unit.