Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems after header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problems after header install

i installed long tubes and a TSP catted y on my car about a month ago, i finally got home and welded it all up this weekend and now the car isnt running that good. When i ran it a month ago right after i installed the headers the car ran fine, didnt have o2 simms at the time and it still ran fine no ses light or anything. now i put the simms in and the car is running terribly, very choppy idle and it surges, it got better after i drove it, not as choppy but it still surges, it will idle normally and then every minute or so it surges to like 2500 rpms and then drops itself back down again. I know the car probably wont run perfect without a proper tune but i didnt expect this, any thoughts....? i also dont know if this makes a difference but i figure ill throw it out there anyway....is there a difference between the front and rear o2 sensors, because i didnt keep them separated after taking them off, so there may be one front and one rear on the headers if there is even a difference between them, any help would be great, thanks in advance, Paul
Old 03-11-2007, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

don't quote me on this but I was told there is a difference in the O2's but I am not sure, also make sure all your plug wires are tight, there is a chance one could not have been clicked on all the way and have came loose. just a suggestion.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

ok, ill check that, anyone else have any ideas or know if the o2's are different or the same?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think they are the same.

I read another guy had a problem with his car after the install. It ended up being one of the sensor (think it was the temp) got busted. He replaced it and worked great.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

I don't mean to offend you, but did you take the O2s out when you welded the y-pipe? trace the wiring of the O2s, make sure all the sensors are hooked up on the intake side too, like inlet air temp and all that, and make sure all those wires are in good shape. Then you may want to hook up a diagnostic tool, like a Tech 2. If you don't know any one with one of these, you'll have to go to the dealership.
Goodluck
AJ
Old 03-11-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by marthastewart
I think they are the same.

I read another guy had a problem with his car after the install. It ended up being one of the sensor (think it was the temp) got busted. He replaced it and worked great.
knocking that sensor off apparently happens all the time... I would check that first. I have had over 50 people knock it and have to buy new ones
Old 03-11-2007, 11:56 PM
9 Second Club

that is true I forgot about the sensor, one of the wires got cut on mine so I had to solder them back together, car ran like crap when they were broke.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

and there is no difference between front and rear O2s you just have to plug them in where they need to be plugged in, in fact many people use rear corvette O2s for the front O2 sensor in f bodies.
Good luck
AJ
Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

if i remember from doing mine 3 years ago, the lengths are different. you need extensions to reach the front O2s to the header collector. make sure all sensors are snapped in all they way. another common thing with header installs are busting up spark plugs if you leave them in during install. i did that and ended up missing f-body vs. mustang at Englishtown, NJ.