Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I need new front shock mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need new front shock mounts?

I'm in the middle of a front spring swap and I think I need new front shock assemblies. The bolt was extremely rusted, as expected, so I cut them both of, but the assembly still would not come off the top of the shock. Pepboys said they couldn;t fix it, so I took it to a local mechanic who could only get them apart by completely ripping the metal piece out of the middle of the rubber. They other one it still on the shock. New assemblies are $85 bucks A PIECE!!!!!!!! Do I have to suck it up and buy new ones, or can I salvage these things somehow?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i sawed my shafts off the shocks when i did mine this weekend and had the same issue. i just took a drill to the shaft that was still frozen inside the mount. once i drilled a decent amount of it out, i was able to pop it out with a screwdriver and a hammer. just make sure you don't damage the walls of the mount.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

I bought new KYB mounts online from a national parts chain. $60 each and free shipping.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
i sawed my shafts off the shocks when i did mine this weekend and had the same issue. i just took a drill to the shaft that was still frozen inside the mount. once i drilled a decent amount of it out, i was able to pop it out with a screwdriver and a hammer. just make sure you don't damage the walls of the mount.
too late
Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, it's ruined and will have to be replaced. Junkyard is a good place to look as well.

Quick Reply: Do I need new front shock mounts?