General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key Cylinder Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Cylinder Problem

My Z28 is having a hard time starting. Originally thought it was a check valve or fuel pump problem, losing the fuel pressure when the car was off. Would sometimes work when I left the key in the "on" position for about 10 seconds before starting it. Took it to GM Goodwrench and they agreed and changed the fuel pump. Soon after, the problem popped up again.
After some messing around with different things, the key cylinder seems to be really loose. The car will start after messing with the key, and sometimes starts first crank. It turns over fine, but doesn't fire. Is it a VATs problem or is my whole key cylinder bad? Any other parts that can cause this?

How hard is it to change the key cylinder? What about the air bag if I change the key cylinder?

Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends wo dtc information you are pissing in the wind. Watch the security light that will be your biggest tell tale.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could possibly be the Vats wires in the cylinder. Mine broke on my SS and the car wouldn't start at all, but your's might be starting to have a problem. I had a quality locksmith that works on cars too. He had a portable box that by-passes the vats system and was able to tell the wires were shot.