Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 Shifter & boot install

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pro 5.0 Shifter & boot install

I just installed a Pro 5.0 shifter on my '99 WS6 Trans Am 6-speed. I had a few problems/questions on how to re-use and re-install the rubber boots. The directions and web site for the Pro 5.0 are somewhat lacking. The pictures on the instructions were pretty worthless.

All other aspects were pretty easy and well explained on several install threads.

I found the best install instructions for the boot at this web site:
http://www.projecttransam.com/projects15.asp

This made it completely understandable. Normally in the 5.0 install, you don't re-use the smaller rubber boot that is attached to the original shifter. However, after adjusting the shifter stop bolts, I added the smaller original rubber boot over the shifter and I stretched the base of it over the stop bolts to hold it in position. This should add another layer of sound and dirt protection.

I drove the car around the block and everything seems great. I will finish my exhaust work so I can drive more and see how quiet it is and how it shifts under cruise and race conditions.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up! I have a similar install set of instructions on one of my websites.

You mentioned adding "another layer of sound protection". If you want an expensive and easy fix for the infamous gear noise (worse with billet shifters), you might want to consider looking at my shifter gasket set for the LS1/LT1 F-body T-56. I've been selling them for three years now for late model Mustangs with huge success. I just launched a sister website for the LS1/LT1 F-body T-56 yesterday. I am very hopeful that you folks will be as pleased with the effectiveness of the set as the Mustang community has been.

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 Shifter & boot install