General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

trans oil in the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans oil in the engine?

Hi

what`s the transmission oil viscocity number like a 10w or these 0-40w .....

I bought a car and when I`ll change the oil I want to use an engine flush to remove the sludge and deposits .... I`ll drain the old oil and replace the filter put in cheap engine oil (or a cleaning oil) and put the engine flush and run the car for like 5 minutes .... ***then I`ll drain the oil and I`ll put new oil to remove any extra dirt then drain it*** and put a new filter with my choice of oil.

I have two quarts of mobil 40w oil and like 4-6 quarts of ac delco transmission oil (dexronIII)
my questions are:

1-what`s the transmission oil viscocity number like a 10w or these 0-40w ?

2-can I mix the 2 mobil engine oil with 3-4 trans oil for the final flush wich also is 3-5 minutes and then put new engine oil and a new filter?

thanks for your answer/s ^_^
Old 03-13-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

NO! you should not use transmission fluid in your engine.

If you must use an engine flush chemical then use it with cheaper conventional oil.

IF you do use the trans fluid anyway make sure you understand it's far more expensive to rebuild a motor than it is to buy a few quarts of brand name conventional oil.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Just drain the old oil, refill with your choice 10w-30 or synthetic blend, replace the filter and be done with it. Why do you think it is full of sludge? Does the engine have 300k miles on the original oil/filter?

Check the seafoam threads here on cleaning the engine.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow...tranny fluid in the crankcase...not sure i have words for that
Old 03-13-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard that ATF has some cleaning agents that regular oil can't offer. I've never done it, or wanted to either. Try finding a can called Seafoam at your local Autozone, Pep Boys, ect. and trying running that instead of ATF
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

transmission fluid doesn't harm anything in the engine in the short term, if anything it has superior detergents over conventional oil.

It's an old mechanic trick to run some transmission fluid to loosen some deposits then change the oil quickly after that.

These days though, that's why seafoam and other engine flush agents exist as they are far superior in removing those deposits.

Just don't run straight transmission fluid though, that's just stupid.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SladeX
transmission fluid doesn't harm anything in the engine in the short term, if anything it has superior detergents over conventional oil.

It's an old mechanic trick to run some transmission fluid to loosen some deposits then change the oil quickly after that.

These days though, that's why seafoam and other engine flush agents exist as they are far superior in removing those deposits.

Just don't run straight transmission fluid though, that's just stupid.

+1

When I worked for Toyota, we had sludge issues and we would put 4 qts trans fluid and 1 qt oil and let it sit and idle for a couple of hours. I would not drive it but let it sit and run the detergents will clean the inside very well.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just note this was not recommended by Toyota, it was a flate rate thing and did not hurt anything.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh thanks all I`m in Kuwait and when I bought the car the owner gave me a bag with some motor oil and trans oil with it .... just thought I`ll try that trans oil to save like 7-10 $ or so .... I never saw seafoam here and that`s why it`s not popular here ....

didn`t intend to use the atf for it`s detergant capabilities it was just there and said what the hell I`ll ask .... seems it`s ok to run it for few minutes for removing any remaining dirt after the original engine flush and motor oil is drained and I`ll go for it.

Thanks for that info SladeX & 03 BUSA.

oh and darom it`s just a habbit I do when I buy a used car.and it`s 129xxx miles I just do that with changing brake fluid (draining for all for points while filling) and cleaning the fuel injectors with a can or two of a fuel injector cleaning bottle/s in the fuel tank .

one question remaining though does it have a grade like engine oil for viscosity(or viscocity don`t remember wich is correct)?

Last edited by Bader-X; 03-14-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Launching!

try some auto-rx... do a search... they have a web site too... its a long term treatment with great reveiws... i just ordered some myself for my daily driver....but DO NOT put tranny fluid in a motor
Old 03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
On the tree

98ws61le why not put tranny fluid in there?

We used to do it all the time when I was a mechanic. Like was said, the detergents that are used in tranny work very well in removing deposties and build up in motors. As long as you mix in some oil and dont run the motor a long time or drive on it the tranny fluid does its job very well.

How many tranny's have you seen with deposites in them? This is exactly why...

Plus look at how many systems have switched over to running tranny fluid like manual trannys, power steering systems.

If you cant get your hands on the Seafoam or any of the actual GM top end cleaner and have to use the tranny fluid just make sure to follow the advice and run oil with it as well.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

atf works well to pump up a collapsed lifter but thats just an old trick my dad taught me
Old 03-16-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was close to the oil change place and didn`t feel like going home to pick up the stuff from there .... so here is how it happened ....

drained the old oil (the guy said it was very black and was burnt)

fixed a new filter and put 4 q of flushing motor oil of a local brand and 1 q 40w cheap motor oil and 1 can of STP engine flush (said to idle for 15 minutes at a low rpm)

left it circulate for 6 minutes then for 2 minutes a little gas and at some times 4k or 2.5 k rpm and was time to rev limit then left it for 2 minutes at idle. (oil pressure was 20-25 @_@ were it was 40 before and with the gas went to 40 where before it went to 60-70 ls6 pump as the owner said not sure ported or not) it did get some smoke (blue or white not sure when I hit the gas pedal hard).

drained it and it was blackish (golden when poured)

put in another 5 q of cheap 40w oil and idled for 3 minutet with few higher idle and one rev limit then drained it and it was clean.

then a new filter and 5.5 q of castrol 10w-40 mineral oil and that was it cold idle is 47-50 psi hot idle is 38-42 cold and hot cruise 58-64 .