Sponsored by:

Blue Smoke, but nothing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blue Smoke, but nothing wrong?

Gentlemen,

Before I start the long process of trying to figure out why the car is smoking (oil or/and coolant) decided to post here. Very hard to say if its actually a blue smoke, but I certainly know it is not gas.
I have recently changed heads and of course head gaskets (head gasket was leaking). New metal 3 lawyer gaskets. One of the sides i had to install 5 different times, dont ask why.

Did a leak down test and the numbers were really good..out of 100 PSI..only 5psi was leaking or so. Could it be the headgasket gone bad again? It smokes at idle and after WOT let off. Other mods I did to the car include a catch can and duel spring valvetrain and cam. Tune wasn't all that great but A/F ratio is very good.

Looking for hints where to look.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Change your valve seals by any chance?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going through the exact same thing now... doing a compression test tomorrow and then pending results, changing my valve stem seals. I used the ones that came with my T2 cam kit, I heard someone say that early PRC springs came with new seats that did not allow the valve stem seal to sit properly and they would leak over time. Did you get your cam and springs from TSP by chance?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the rocker bolt holes extend into the intake ports? If so, what did you seal them with?

Loctite will not be enough to properly seal them. Trust me, I know.

I had the same problem...car smoked after a H/C swap, but never smoked a bit before I did the swap. Put Loctite on them when I did it, but didn't slow the consumption.

Eventually I pulled the rockers back out and sealed the threads with Indian Head Sealant that can be found at most good autoparts stores.

Worked like a champ and did away with the smoking.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I'm going through the exact same thing now... doing a compression test tomorrow and then pending results, changing my valve stem seals. I used the ones that came with my T2 cam kit, I heard someone say that early PRC springs came with new seats that did not allow the valve stem seal to sit properly and they would leak over time. Did you get your cam and springs from TSP by chance?

Ordered Cam Package from TR

Last edited by kukri; 03-13-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

PRC duals? How long ago did you do the initial swap?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Launching!

probably around 4-5 weeks ago and it smoked ever since I took it to a dyno run a week afterwards. Pulled the valve covers then but did not notice anything weird, but weren't looking for weird seats or whatever either. I got whatever comes with $799.99 package with crane cams springs.