Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My car is a MESS!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is a MESS!?

I bought the car finally! (02 SLP SS Camaro, CME exhaust, 6 spd, LE suspension, and yada yada) but the previous owner had kids..that were in the car and now theres melton crayons in the cup holders, some sticky stuff in the back leather seats, and other stains, looks like coke, in the carpets. The car sat for a year in a parking garage w/ all this junk in it but now I dont know how to get some of this stuff out. Anyone have any sollutions to helping reconditon my car? it took me 3 hours today to get it somewhat ok condition.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

Yes that pigpen (I mean Camaro) is a mess.... the previous owner 'aught to be pimp slapped.

If you go to Wal-Mart/ Home Depot/ etc you can buy some Goo Gone. Let that stuff sit on the hard crap melted into the carpet and with repeated scubbings with a rag saturated in goo gone/ repeated soakings, you'll get it all.

Nice car, thanks for saving it.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My first guess would be to use a dilluted simple green solution for the stains and sticky stuff. the crayons, maybe a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? hope that helps!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WD 40 works great for anything sticky like the crayons in the console - do a test spot befor using on your leather.

Mothers carpet and upholstery cleaner is great for carpets. Get a bundle of the white towels from autozone and use them to mop up with mothers - you'll see great results
Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

well to be honest, go to a junk yard and find a 93+ camaro with the same color carpet and back seats and just buy new ones. it will save you hours or scrubbing/pain in the *** work when you could just spend a little bit and get it over with.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clean99
I bought the car finally! (02 SLP SS Camaro, CME exhaust, 6 spd, LE suspension, and yada yada) but the previous owner had kids..that were in the car and now theres melton crayons in the cup holders, some sticky stuff in the back leather seats, and other stains, looks like coke, in the carpets. The car sat for a year in a parking garage w/ all this junk in it but now I dont know how to get some of this stuff out. Anyone have any sollutions to helping reconditon my car? it took me 3 hours today to get it somewhat ok condition.

Thanks in advance.
Oxyclean carpet cleaner is your friend for the coke stained carpet. A clean rag soaked w/ warm water to clean the sticky stuff off of your leather and apply leather cleaner/conditioner. Armorall should able to take care of your crayon problems. GL.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Launching!

lol thanks alot guys, im not going to go and buy new carpet, id rather save this one and put some care into my car rather then take it outa some other car, im sure it can be saved but its gonna take alota work...good thing i have alot of time. So far I got most of the crayon out, i dont really know wat the hells in the back seat??! I dont know if i really want to. Also other then Zaino wats a great way to get a black car ultra shiny. I think ive learned black cars are hard to wash. What do yall use to dry them specifically.

thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I took my console out of the car and let it soak in the yard for a couple of hours and I got it looking like brand new. the seats i just used some leather cleaner. The carpet however I was never able to get the stains out so I just replaced it.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Launching!

For getting the leather clean try some leather cleaner first and move on to simple green. if you have the time you could stip the car and pull the carpet out and use a pressure washer and some simple green. i haven't done that my self but i have heard it works well.

for drying i would use a water absorber and micro fiber towels.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

i maybe the only one that will recomend the mr clean system for drying it. the less amount of abrasive rubbing on your car the better reguardless the material. but then again this system depends on how hard the water is in your area. mine is not bad once its run throght the filter i dont have to dry my car and i have (0) spots on a black car in a 85 degree day. i havent hand dried my car in gong on 4 years now.

wax zaino seems to produce good results ive never used it i use griots best of show wax gives it a real deep finish. but to each his own
Old 03-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Take the seats and console out, then shampoo the carpet's...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Take the seats and console out, then shampoo the carpet's...
Thats the only way to really get it cleaned up. While the carpet dries out you could scrub the seats/console without having to be a contortionist.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM

got any pics bro
Old 03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I tried to get pics but its in the garage and hard to take pics with another car in the way and my camera sucks, When it stops raining its ***** off ill take it outside for some pics. Good news though got most of it on the interior just needs some little care. THERES HOPE lol , outside im going to try and use that filtered water idea, should turn out well, thanks alot everyone!............oh and this thing pulls like no otheerr, im in love
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it looks like everyone else covered what you can do to clean it up so...

Congrats on getting the Camaro and good luck with the cleaning!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Launching!

I forgot to mention earlier that some people use a leaf blower to dry their cars too. that might work well.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a nice car Yeah you may have to remove the seats to clean the carpet good. Then the seats, a good leather cleaner and some serious scrubbing. There is a guy in my hometown with a REALLY nice '03 Cobra and let's his kids color and eat ice cream in his car Never in ANY car I own
Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Launching!

well im back, took the back seats out, thats where all the mess was, after 2 hours of scrubbing, alot of Tuff Stuff remover, some goo gone, lots of scraping, some more amoral, The interior looks not too shabby i must say, Tommorow im going to get Q tips and go through the vents thats the only part i havnt covered and then go over the hatch area again. I also sanded down the CME because it looked like caked on grime, i think ima go after it tom with some brake cleaner and tape off the valence again like i did today. but the outsides did come out better, i think ima take a small dremel for the insides. Thanks a bunch everyone this is really turning out well. after I finish cleaning/waxing the outside im taking it out, Ive already turned atleast 3 heads every gas station i stop at. I LOVE THIS CAR ill get pics soon.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transambandit
well to be honest, go to a junk yard and find a 93+ camaro with the same color carpet and back seats and just buy new ones. it will save you hours or scrubbing/pain in the *** work when you could just spend a little bit and get it over with.
That would work pretty well, but if his interior is ebony he won't be able to find a match on color unless it's from an '00 and up. If it's tan, he might be able to get lucky and find something. I believe the gray interior is also available early on, but I'm also fairly sure that grey got replaced by ebony.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Launching!

its ebony, but its cleaning up great