Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 model Longblock build for forced induction

Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 model Longblock build for forced induction

I'm going to start buying the parts needed to rebuild my 98 longblock for a Procharger DS1C since I'm approaching 139,000 miles and the need for more power is in the air. Since I'd like to make some good boost and hopefully hit the 500 RWHP mark, what all is needed to make this happen?

Can the stock crank handle this much power?

Would the Patriot LS6 heads handle the boost and make good power?

Could I get away with replacing the rod bolts with ARP one's and re-use the stock rods or am I waiting for disaster?

I know I'll need forged dished pistons and a good set of head gaskets so which brand are the best parts for the money?

I'm not wanting to drop shitloads of money as I'm sure picking the right parts and combination is the key to a successful engine build for forced induction.
Anyone with a procharger post up your internal parts for reference if you don't mind. I want this motor to be dependable and street friendly but make tons of power when I put my foot in it. I'm going with a custom FI cam from Comp once I get my combo completely figured out and I'll be running a ported LS6 oil pump and LS2 chain on top of that. Thanks for any tips or advise you can give me!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you are rebuilding the block just get a fully forged bottom end. Dont half *** it. The stock crank is plenty enough though.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
Would the Patriot LS6 heads handle the boost and make good power?

Could I get away with replacing the rod bolts with ARP one's and re-use the stock rods or am I waiting for disaster?
Partiot heads are cheap in cost and you get what you pay for, Replace the rods with the piston, your crank should more then be able to handle that power range.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I should be able to rebuild the bottom end of my factory block for less than a competely forged short block. If the price of parts and machine work equal a new shortblock then I'll go that route. Right now I'm shopping and pricing and just trying to get an idea of where this project stands.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would just sell your working shortblock and buy a brand new built shortblock.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Partiot heads are cheap in cost and you get what you pay for, Replace the rods with the piston, your crank should more then be able to handle that power range.

Are Patriot heads not any good? I've heard different opinions on them, I really like the AFR 205's though. They seem to make more power. If the Patriot heads are like this cam I got then I'll reconsider. This cam sucks ***, for almost 600 lift this damn thing pulls like **** and doesn't make any power. My car surges and bucks while pulling off from a light, has little low end and just plain sucks. I mean, hell, I only made 309 RWHP with all bolt ons. It pulls hard at WOT but around town it's junk. It could be something else but we did a compression test and every cylinder made great compression, the timing was on dot, etc.. I'll look at some new rods, does Scat make forged LSX rods for these motors?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brad8266

I might do that too, I'm going to order the Procharger in another week or so which will set me back a few grand. Once I save up another $4,000.00 I'll check into buying a shortblock.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/670318-dyno-results-h-c.html a good friend of mine got Ported LS6 heads, peak cfm was like 296cfm @ .600" the recipt said he paid 775 for them, made power that a little bigger cam alone should make. The cam in there has made over 400 on some local cars.

Just giving you a FYI, I would spend the money right the 1st time.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670318 a good friend of mine got Ported LS6 heads, peak cfm was like 296cfm @ .600" the recipt said he paid 775 for them, made power that a little bigger cam alone should make. The cam in there has made over 400 on some local cars.

Just giving you a FYI, I would spend the money right the 1st time.

Dang, thanks for the heads up! I'll definately spend a little more to get what I want the first time.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just that link to your buddy's dyno runs and it seems there is more in the mix than just the heads... so i wouldnt base your opinion on the patriot heads off this link...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Sorry, but in an FI application, especially in this guys case where he's only looking for a mild, 500rwhp FI ride, buying heads like Patriot makes a ton of sense. Why spend an extra $1000 for a few extra ponies that the blower can make for you anyway. To put out only 500rwhp is barely going to work the blower. Since the stock heads do have 100,000+ miles it does make sense to replace them. Patriot Stage 2 LQ9 heads with 72cc combustion chambers on top of forged flat top or mildly dished pistons would make a lot of sense taking into consideration the desired power levels and cost.

I have an aquaintance who runs in the 9's with patriot lq9 heads on his procharged c5.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by will82
Sorry, but in an FI application, especially in this guys case where he's only looking for a mild, 500rwhp FI ride, buying heads like Patriot makes a ton of sense. Why spend an extra $1000 for a few extra ponies that the blower can make for you anyway. To put out only 500rwhp is barely going to work the blower. Since the stock heads do have 100,000+ miles it does make sense to replace them. Patriot Stage 2 LQ9 heads with 72cc combustion chambers on top of forged flat top or mildly dished pistons would make a lot of sense taking into consideration the desired power levels and cost.

I have an aquaintance who runs in the 9's with patriot lq9 heads on his procharged c5.

So technically I could run flat top pistons but with a set of LQ9 heads to drop my compression? Would stock head gaskets with ARP Head bolts work? I've never had a FI car, well, built a FI motor anyhow. I've got a 2005 GTP with the Eaton blower but it's stock. Thanks for the help, I'm definately learning something!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So technically I could run flat top pistons but with a set of LQ9 heads to drop my compression? Would stock head gaskets with ARP Head bolts work? I've never had a FI car, well, built a FI motor anyhow. I've got a 2005 GTP with the Eaton blower but it's stock. Thanks for the help, I'm definately learning something!
If you only want 500rwhp, yes the heads alone would lower compression. If it wasn't for your high-milage, for 500rwhp only you could be very safe just putting the 72cc combustion chamber heads on a stock short block. But with 140,000 miles, I think it's smart of you to replace the internals, especially if you can easily afford it.

Since your replacing the internals, you could also save even more $$$ on the heads by going with a dished piston to lower compression and buying some stock ls6 heads for around $600. Or even buy some low-milage used ls1 heads for less. The point is, for your power goals, you're not going to have to spend that much $$$. Just as long as you're sure you won't get the itch for more. 500 rwhp out of a blown ls1 is a piece of cake.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad8266

+1 you can get a fully forged 346/347 shortblock from tsp for around $2700-$2800, so sell you stock block, pick up some patriot 6.0 heads, get a low comp. forged 346/347 from tsp, pick up a nice blower cam, and toss on a ds1c and you will EASILY make over 500 rwhp with 9-10 psi and it will be very reliable.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by will82
If you only want 500rwhp, yes the heads alone would lower compression. If it wasn't for your high-milage, for 500rwhp only you could be very safe just putting the 72cc combustion chamber heads on a stock short block. But with 140,000 miles, I think it's smart of you to replace the internals, especially if you can easily afford it.

Since your replacing the internals, you could also save even more $$$ on the heads by going with a dished piston to lower compression and buying some stock ls6 heads for around $600. Or even buy some low-milage used ls1 heads for less. The point is, for your power goals, you're not going to have to spend that much $$$. Just as long as you're sure you won't get the itch for more. 500 rwhp out of a blown ls1 is a piece of cake.

Dang, I didn't know it was that easy! Thanks for the help, I think I found a short block I want from Scoggin Dickey, it's the 383ci forged internal block. For less than four grand that would be the perfect torque monster motor wouldn't it? That L92 motor looks pretty good too, I'd like to have room to grow with the short block if I decide I want more out of it later on. All I want to do is out perform a Pullied Cobra or run with or out run a C6 ZO6 vette. I think a conservative 500 RWHP should do the trick with a 6-speed.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
+1 you can get a fully forged 346/347 shortblock from tsp for around $2700-$2800, so sell you stock block, pick up some patriot 6.0 heads, get a low comp. forged 346/347 from tsp, pick up a nice blower cam, and toss on a ds1c and you will EASILY make over 500 rwhp with 9-10 psi and it will be very reliable.

That is what I'm looking for. So TSP sells short blocks for under three grand? Damn, I'm going to check that out. Thanks for the tip because that's the price range I really wanted to stay in.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All I want to do is out perform a Pullied Cobra or run with or out run a C6 ZO6 vette. I think a conservative 500 RWHP should do the trick with a 6-speed.
A forged 383 w/ D1SC will definately get you there.
As long as you can afford this, why not upgrade the clutch and up the boost. Going with a forged 383/ProCharger combo and only running 500rwhp is kind of like eating a waffle-cone and not putting any ice-cream in it. Upgrade the clutch, and you can go for 600rwhp with a reasonalbly sized pulley so you wouldn't have to worry about belt-slippage issues. I'd also suggest running an 8-rib setup for extra reliability/peace of mind.

You'll be annihilating Cobras in no time.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TSP 347 Shortblock w/ Callies Compstar Rods, Diamond -8.6cc Pistons, Upgraded piston ring set: $3,200

TSP PRC LS6 Heads w/ valve job & 918 springs: $1,200

Lingenfelter gt2-3 cam: $350

Ram Powergrip HD Clutch: $400

You could run 550-600rwhp on this combo and be very reliable & safe.

Search this Thread