General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

whirring under load

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whirring under load

I have a question that I hope someone may help me with. I understand this is the whole 'diagnose me over the internet' but Im desperate for some ideas and help. I have a 97 3.8 camaro:

A couple weeks ago while we were having our snow storm, I started hearing a wierd noise. The best way I can describe it is a whistling, a whirring, and a whining all in one. It almost sounds like those vortex footballs in a way. Ive been trying to diagnose when it happens, and it happens between 5 and what I thought like 35-40 but it gets pretty windy at those speeds so its probably still happening above 40.

At first I thought hey maybe its just snow packed around my wheels, or somewhere else, but i kicked all the snow off around the wheels today, thats not it. Then I thought it was while I accelerated only, but seems like I could possibly be hearing it slightly when I let off, and I also heard it while I was coasting around a corner downhill into my apt tonite.

I dunno what it could be... Its while I accelate prmarily/only and it seems like its loudest between 5-35/40.. I havent noticed any loss in power, and I cant hear it while Im just idling or revving... Its only under load that it occurs, and Im mainly thinking it could possibly be the tranny. When stuck a couple times, I did a lot of quick shifting from reverse to drive and also bouncing off the rev limiter. Ive gone to a few differnet forums now looking for some ideas, but nothing outside of "maybe its a leak in your weather stripping". I know its no air rushing or anything simple. This noise just started, and its coming from the front of the car.

Any help or ideas you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. I would not like to bend over to get an estimate from someone, I just want some ideas to look at. Thanks much in advance.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

easiest one to check first, power steering fluid level ?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Teching In

the sound doesnt sound like power steering, and I just filled it up about 6 months ago... Ill check anyway after class though.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Teching In

yeah I checked, fluid level is fine.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alt. going bad, the pulley will make a supercharger like sound before it goes and your voltage will jump like a dog with bacon.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Teching In

See I thought about that, but the voltage hasnt moved at all... Will it make the sound before I see the voltage jump? I would actually be happy if this was the case. Id much rather replace that than anything with my tranny.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't be the air pump by chance?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Teching In

where is that located, relative to the engine?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Before mine went out it did the supercharger noise, then got loud at idle/driving (this is when the voltage started jumping 2-3 volts from idle to accleration) then one night driving home from my ex girlfriends house i noticed i had NO charge from the alt. so i ran on a battery for 10 mi. untll the next day.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paarman97maro
where is that located, relative to the engine?

The air pump is on the front left frame rail, right next to the cruise control box
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

When my air pump went bad, it was making similar noise which I likened to a Shop Vac. I swapped it out and the problem was resolved:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/547584-02-ws6-loud-air-pump.html
Old 03-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Okay thanks much for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

So if its my alternator, I could go get it tested at an autozone or somthing, and it would definilty show that its going bad, right? I just dont want to replace it if its not the issue.

Then if its my AIR pump, did yours only make noise when you accelerated? Mines only making a rushing air type noise when I accelerate or coast. Its almost like a whirring, or low pitched whistling... Its just hard to describe.

Would anything in the transmission make a noise like that?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

On second thought, I don't think it's the AIR pump in your case because mine did it constantly, whether the car was moving or not.

As for the alternator, here is my experience with Autozone testing:

I took my 89 Crown Vic to Autozone to have them check the alternator. They connected the tester by hooking a device onto the exterior of the battery cable. I assume it must work by inductance or something. They said it tested "too low" and that it was bad...and they wanted to sell me a new $150 alternator.

I was skeptical, so I drove home, took the alternator out of the car, and went to a different Autozone to have them test it in the store. It tested perfect and there was absoultey nothing wrong with it.

So, if you go to Autozone, I would recommend taking the alternator out of the car and have them test it in the store because I am sure it is a more accurate test.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

I had the exact some problem with my 3.8. Same described sound. I took it to Auto Zone and they told me it was fine. I didnt believe it so I bought the alternator anyway and installed it. Turned out to be it. I dont trust that weak test they do with the voltage, they only test if it works or not. . not if it is going out. From what I understand an alternator either works or it doesnt. . . . Its life is hard to predict.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Okay cool... Maybe Ill give that a shot then this weekend or next... Hopefully I dont get jinxed and have it **** out before then haha.. Thanks for all the help everyone.

The sound is just getting incredibly annoying now... I cant even enjoy driving my car anymore
Old 03-17-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait till it is on the verg of going, its crazy loud! watch your voltage gauge and if it drops to the dotted yellow, the alternator died.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

It hasnt seemed to move at all... So the volts will stay constant until its last breath? To me it seems like its louder now, but I dunno, maybe its just getting THAT annoying to me hahaha..

I really hope this is the issue though... I just thought Id be able to hear it at idle or revving, but I cant, only while driving.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Replaced my alternator the other day. I had the same problem but it's fixed now